New Member, New Student

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

Half Fast

New Member, New Student

Post by Half Fast »

Hi, folks. I've been lurking for a couple of weeks while I sorted out flight training options and decided what I wanted to do. I finally made up my mind, so here I am. I'm looking forward to learning from the folks on this forum.

I've signed up for sport pilot training with First Landings Aviation in Apopka, FL. I'm starting to work through the ground school materials now, and I'll have my first flight on 5/28. Any help and advice regarding studying for the written test will be greatly appreciated.

By way of personal introduction, I'm a 54 year old electrical engineer. I'm with Lockheed Martin in Orlando, where I've been for 31 years now. Most of my work has been designing fire control systems and night vision avionics for military aircraft, but I've also done some design work on missiles. I'm working on the development of a new cruise missile presently.

God & 401k willing, I hope to retire in about 3 years, so I'm lining up my life toward that goal. Flying seems like something my wife and I would enjoy doing together after I retire since we both love to travel. Between now and then, I'd like to do local sightseeing, $100 hamburger trips, and occasional longer weekend trips to the Keys or the mountains. After I retire, I hope we can do some longer cross-country trips.

Happy to be here!
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
SportPilot

Re: New Member, New Student

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Mon May 09, 2016 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

My wife and I enjoy car trips, taking back roads and seeing the countryside and small towns. I think we'll like low and slow flying, looking at scenery, and seeing little air fields and interesting places.
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

I also looked at First Landings. I looked at so many I can't recall what I liked about each. A few questions:

- Are you doing accelerated? Or 2-3 times a week?
- What aircraft will you be training in? I see they have the P92 echo at First Landings.
- Is your plan to purchase or rent an aircraft?

As to the ground school, I'm guessing you'll follow the syllabus they recommend. I purchased Gleim, and was able to get that done prior to flight training.

Holler if you have any questions. It's a very exciting ride!
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Did we perchance meet at Sun 'n' Fun?
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

Certainly we did, Eddie! I'll be in your neck of the woods in a week. Plan to ride some with Russ, and I'd love to take you up on your offer of a ride in the Sky Arrow, too, if you're willing and able.

Cluemeister, I plan to fly their Tecnam Bravo. They have 3, so if one goes down I should still be able to fly.

Not doing accelerated, but I'm hoping to fly 2x every Friday and Saturday. I'm scheduled to fly all 3 days of the Memorial Day weekend, for 6 lessons, as a bit of a quick start.

I'm using the ASA books, but I'd like to augment them with a few videos. I'd also like to find a good source for online tests. Any suggestions?

Plan to rent for at least the first year, then decide whether it makes sense to buy.
1/2
----------------
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Mon May 09, 2016 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

Asa Prepware has an online test. I took it many times. :)

http://www.asa2fly.com/Prepware-Online-P1958.aspx
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Half Fast wrote:Certainly we did, Eddie! I'll be in your neck of the woods in a week. Plan to ride some with Russ, and I'd love to take you up on your offer of a ride in the Sky Arrow, too, if you're willing and able.
Sounds good. The Sky Arrow is fresh out of an annual and itching for an excuse to fly! Russ actually lent me hand on the annual for a few hours and was a big help and good company.

I know you'll get a kick out of seeing some of our favorite motorcycling roads from the air - especially TN 68 and the Cherohala.

I'll try to keep my busy social calendar free for flying and riding!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

Outstanding, Eddie! I'll be looking forward to it. Let's hope for good weather.
1/2
----------------
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

SportPilot wrote:Generally, it makes sense to buy when you are spending $1,000 per month or more to rent, IMHO. Of course, there are non-financial considerations also.

I suspect that once I start wanting to do trips of more than 2 or 3 days several times a year, renting will make less sense. Of course, there's a big variable in what plane is being considered for purchase. Renting versus buying an Icon might make a lot more sense than renting versus buying a Luscombe.
1/2
----------------
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

Cluemeister wrote:Asa Prepware has an online test. I took it many times. :)

http://www.asa2fly.com/Prepware-Online-P1958.aspx

Thanks!! I'll check it out. Did the question database change recently?
1/2
----------------
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Mon May 09, 2016 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

Budget?

Hmmmmm.....

Budget.

Well, there's a thought.

Maybe I should start saving up my money to get one of those budget things.
1/2
----------------
drseti

Post by drseti »

SportPilot wrote:. I don't really want to deal with finding parts, etc. for a vintage aircraft.
There are companies that specialize in supplying parts for vintage aircraft like the Luscombe. Univair comes to mind.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US