Hi from Texas

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

RTC'83

Hi from Texas

Post by RTC'83 »

I have enjoyed reading the forum for the last couple of weeks. I am excited about pursuing the Sport Pilot License.
I will be taking an intro lesson sometime in March. The school that is near me in Addison, TX is really busy, in the meantime I am getting familiar with reading material available on the FAA web page.
I am still looking for other schools that might be easier to get flying times, even-though this school has some nice Sport Cruiser Aircraft.
Any suggestions on how to pass the time until March let me know.

Thanks for allowing me to be part SportPilot Talk.

RTC'83
RTC’83
Sport Pilot
drseti

Re: Hi from Texas

Post by drseti »

Welcome aboard, and enjoy your adventure. We're all here to help. If you want to do a bunch of reading before you start your lessons, there are several thousand pages of free instructional material waiting for you on my flight school's website, including dozens of PowerPoint Lessons free for the taking. Www.AvSport.org. Do keep us all updated on your progress.
Safe Skies,
Paul
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

Welcome. You are fortunate to have a light sport school near you. Especially the sport cruiser!
RTC'83

Post by RTC'83 »

Thank you both
RTC’83
Sport Pilot
diel111

Post by diel111 »

I have been going to US Sport Aircraft in Addison since the second week of December. I need to do my cross country solo (which I think I'll be able to do Thursday) and then polish some maneuvers and check ride time.

I've had a really good experience with them, my CFI is very good and the Sportcruisers are very nice and easy to fly. I also like the busy airport and airspace, if you can fly in there, you should be able to do well anywhere else. Touch and go's and most maneuvers are done to the east (Mesquite, Caddo Mills) or northeast (Mckinney). You get a really good mix of controlled and uncontrolled airports.

The main reason their schedule is so busy is because they lost a couple of full time CFIs to commercial jobs. But for what I hear they already have a couple more coming. I fly during the week so scheduling has not been a problem, you go online and pick your days. I would suggest if you start, make your appointments 3-4 weeks ahead.

On studying, if you get their Sport Pilot package, that includes all the books you need. Keep in mind this is a Part 61 school, so you have to do a lot of studying on your own. They offer a Sunday 8-hr ground school but I didn't do that. I just did my own studying with the books the package provided and passed the written about 3 weeks ago.

Here's a list of the books:

Jeppesen Guided Flight Discovery Private Pilot
Jeppesen Private Pilot FAA Practical Test Study Guide
Jeppesen FAR/AIM 2016
Jeppesen Private Pilot Maneuvers
Jeppesen FAA Airman Knowledge Private Pilot Test Guide
Jeppesen Private Pilot Practical Test Standards

They also included a Jeppesen E6B manual computer and a Plotter.

Let me know if you have any questions. Sorry for the long post.