Alaska-bound!

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

Dnigolian

Alaska-bound!

Post by Dnigolian »

So I'm currently military stationed overseas but am about to move to Alaska permanently...a long time dream. 2nd thing on the list (after buying a home) is a LSA. I've done ground school and 11 hrs, so not much, but enough to know I want more! Obviously, I'll have a lot of questions, so here I am!
designrs

Re: Alaska-bound!

Post by designrs »

Welcome!

Think thermostat (oil) and I believe some manufactures now offer a water thermostat as well?
(You'll need the oil thermostat for descents for sure.)

Think pre-heater. Here's a cheep (and very portable) pre-heater option, courtesy of our moderator Dr. Paul:
http://avsport.org/publicat/nonfict/preheat.pdf

Have heard good things about the Tanis plug-in electric heater system.

Think heated hangar!! LOL
Last edited by designrs on Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
Dnigolian

Post by Dnigolian »

Thanks...lived in AK before just not with a plane. Heated hanger will be a must! Thanks for the advice.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Welcome aboard! You've got questions, we've got answers (often contradictory ones). So, if you want lively discussions, you came to the right place.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Taildragger with big tires. I'd look at a Highlander or Rans S-7 Courier.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

MrMorden wrote:Taildragger with big tires. I'd look at a Highlander or Rans S-7 Courier.
I second that on the Highlander.
Be sure to get some good training from a Highlander CFI though.
Last edited by Wm.Ince on Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Dnigolian

Post by Dnigolian »

Never heard of it so I checked it out...seems a lot like the bearhawk. I love it, however it's about twice the price and 3x the hours to build vs the Challenger or Excalibur. No doubt it's a better plane but take off/landing takes about the same distance, cruise speed is about the same, fuel economy is about half as good and maintenance will be more expensive on the engine if nothing else. As a first plane, I just don't see the benefit.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I know a fellow who just posted his Taylorcraft for sale. It has the back woods mods that would work well in Alaska, Bigger engine (85hp), starter, alternator, big tires, big tailwheel, hydraulic brakes, and increased gross weight (over 500 pound useful). His price is $28,500.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

A Challenger in Alaska will be able to fly about two months out of the year. A Highlander will be able to fly much more often. And the Highlander has about a 700lb useful load. If you are just buzzing around the airport area for fun that will not matter, but if you are going to travel more than 50-75 miles in Alaska carrying capacity for tools, survival gear, a rifle, etc. would be mandatory. It would take about thirty minutes in an airplane from any point in Alaska to be in the literal middle of nowhere, even if you started from the middle of a city.

YMMV
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

3Dreaming wrote:I know a fellow who just posted his Taylorcraft for sale. It has the back woods mods that would work well in Alaska, Bigger engine (85hp), starter, alternator, big tires, big tailwheel, hydraulic brakes, and increased gross weight (over 500 pound useful). His price is $28,500.
If the gross weight is increased beyond 1320lb, it's no longer LSA. Just something to check.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
drseti

Post by drseti »

You really won't be in a position to make any sort of an informed decision until you get to Alaska, talk to a bunch of the local pilots, go for a flight or two, and are able to clearly define your mission. At that point, the choice of airplane will start to become clear to you. Enjoy the journey, not just the destination. :)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Dnigolian

Post by Dnigolian »

drseti wrote:You really won't be in a position to make any sort of an informed decision until you get to Alaska, talk to a bunch of the local pilots, go for a flight or two, and are able to clearly define your mission. At that point, the choice of airplane will start to become clear to you. Enjoy the journey, not just the destination. :)
Touche'. The goal is to get something I can use to commute to work/back daily. The more I can use it in adverse weather, the better because that's when the driving commute is worst (1 hr in good weather/3 in bad, or 7 min via plane!). However, being fairly dark 6 mo/yr, I may be smoking cheese dip in the LSA category. Perhaps a Zodiak CH801 w/IFR instruments would be better suited, and would fit my family as a bonus! Unfortunately, that gets in the $80K range and requires more FAA involvement, does not have interchangeable floats, etc, and so I've been shying away from it.

I'll see if I can link up with the community up there and get some practical local answers. Sorry for being wishy-washy, but this is the brainstorming phase and once I get there, I'll be consumed by a new job, house-hunting, dodging moose, etc.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Brainstorming is a good thing, and this is a good place to be doing it. As far as commuting to work is concerned, FAA legal has already opined that this would be considered "in furtherance of a business," and hence prohibited when operating under Sport Pilot rules. You'd need a Private or above, with a current medical certificate.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

MrMorden wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:I know a fellow who just posted his Taylorcraft for sale. It has the back woods mods that would work well in Alaska, Bigger engine (85hp), starter, alternator, big tires, big tailwheel, hydraulic brakes, and increased gross weight (over 500 pound useful). His price is $28,500.
If the gross weight is increased beyond 1320lb, it's no longer LSA. Just something to check.
This particular airplane was increased to 1280, keeping it a light sport.
Dnigolian

Post by Dnigolian »

drseti wrote:Brainstorming is a good thing, and this is a good place to be doing it. As far as commuting to work is concerned, FAA legal has already opined that this would be considered "in furtherance of a business," and hence prohibited when operating under Sport Pilot rules. You'd need a Private or above, with a current medical certificate.
That's ridiculous! My car is not "in furtherance of my business" unless it's funded by said business. Not suggesting you're wrong.

Well, that leads me towards the Zenair CH801 or Bearcat 4 seater...$44K and $40K respectively for the QBK.