New member from Hawaii

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

jason22

New member from Hawaii

Post by jason22 »

Hi,

I live on Oahu and having a hard time trying to get my Sport Pilot License. Every place I call only has private pilot or higher. Does anyone know who I can contact or where I can take lessons?

Thanks,

Jason22
SportPilot

Re: New member from Hawaii

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jason22

Post by jason22 »

I would love to get my private pilot license, but I probably will not be able to fly at night due to color deficiency. I also have type 1 diabetes (insulin dependent). I discussed this with an AME they said I would probably pass the third class medical exam, but I would be required to be exam'ed more often and if my A1C went over 6.5 my license would be suspended. I just want to fly with one other passenger and it is a lot cheaper, so I thought this is the next best thing.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Jason, although Hawaii has both a small in land mass and is also separated into multiple islands with volcanic-origin topography - IOW it's small and unique - your problem is not uncommon in the continental U.S. as well. Despite offering a new class of aircraft and a self-certification medical standard, the SPL has not been uniformly embraced by the flight instruction comment, has the distribution of LSA aircraft reached all parts of the U.S. and the number of SPL issuances has been relatively small (which therefore limits the appeal of offering SPL instruction). You'll find many comments made over the years on this forum that are similar to your own. And a related dilemma is that even in some areas where SPL instruction is offered, the availability of LSA rental aircraft is so thin that having regular access to one can also be a problem.

If you aren't already familiar with these, you might want to do a search on 'GAPPA', the 'EAA AOPA petition' and 'Pilot Bill of Rights 2' to understand the joint EAA/AOPA proposal to the FAA, the FAA's proposed (but still 'secret') NPRM that adjusts the requirements for a 3rd class medical for non-commercial PPL holders, and the current House & Senate bills that are more comprehensive in scope but include elimination of the 3rd class medical for some PPL privileges. No one really knows - yet - what the FAA's draft guidelines say or the likelihood of the PBOR2 bills becoming law in some form. (Although we all surely do have our individual opinions!) One of those two initiatives might provide your pathway to PPL training, depending on the details.

You might want to add your voice to the current proposed legislation. Here is an overview, a video and instructions on how to do so:
http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All- ... on-on-PBR2
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Hi, Jason. See if there are any independent CFIs around with a Cub, Taylorcraft, or Champs around.
- Bruce
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

There are a couple of Flight Design CT (S-LSA) HI-based owners over on ctflier.com that may know of a local school or CFI.
dave
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jason22

Post by jason22 »

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I will fly someday, not going to give up on this. I'll keep looking around.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Although any CFI can train a Sport Pilot, not all will. The issue us that not all CFIs know the SP rules and requirements. You can do yourself and everyone else a service by educating yourself, and then your CFI if necessary. Buy yourself a copy of the Federal Aviation Regulations, and study FAR Part 61.3xx. Good luck!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jason22

Post by jason22 »

SportPilot wrote:Jason, I'm sure you know buying your own LSA would also be an option. If you had the resources, you could buy an LSA and find a CFI who could train you.
Looking at AeroTrek A220, but I want to find a CFI first.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I maintain an A220, have flown it, and really like it. It's a good honest trainer. Flies just like the Avid Flyer, on which it is based (and like the KitFox, which was also derived from the Avid). But yes, find the CFI first. Not only must he or she know (or be willing to learn) the SP curriculum, the CFI now needs to be taildragger-competent (many of the younger ones have never even seen a conventional landing gear).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

SportPilot, to your point, remember that CFIs (regardless of their reading ability) are independent contractors. They do the kinds of training they choose to do. Some specialize in Ercoupes, some train only in Bonanza, and some (who don't believe in SP) choose not to train for that rating.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US