Faisal from Saudi Arabia

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

HZ-SAL

Faisal from Saudi Arabia

Post by HZ-SAL »

Hello fellow pilots,

I am Faisal from Saudi Arabia. I own a Tecnam Sierra and fly out of Thumama airfield (OETH).
LSA flying is relatively new in SA, but gaining publicity quickly and more and more pilots are moving from GA to LSA due to the low operating costs associated with LSA. One of the main issues that I am working on is to set up the Rules and Regulations governing sport flying, and any help in that matter will be highly appreciated.

Thank you. :)
Faisal.
Faisal

PPL/Tecnam Sierra/OETH
drseti

Re: Faisal from Saudi Arabia

Post by drseti »

Welcome aboard, Faisal. The Tecnam Sierra is a lovely aircraft - enjoy it, and fly it safely. I'm an instrument rated commercial pilot, CFI, CFII - and five years ago, I traded in my (costly to operate) Beechcraft on a much more affordable Evektor SportStar. Quite a few others on this forum have made a similar move, so you're in very good company.

Many of us here are very familiar with the LSA rules, restrictions, and limitations in the US. Unfortiunately, I know of no ICAO standards for LSA operation. I have no knowledge of Saudi aviation regulations, but if they're similar to those in the US, perhaps we can provide some guidance. If the aircraft has an operating limitations sheet, you should of course comply with its restrictions.

Most of our members are in the US, with some in Europe, one or two in Australia, one in Asia, possibly one in South Africa, and as far as I know, only one other in the Middle East. So, we are happy to have you here to broaden our geographical diversity.

Safe Skies,
Paul
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Welcome aboard, Faisal. It's great to see some geographic diversity added to this forum, as I have seen the value of hearing from other countries about their Sport Aviation experience...although typically on other regional forums.

I think one thing we would appreciate hearing about from you about is how you experience your Tecnam Sierra. What kinds of flying are you doing with it and how does it cope with the Saudi conditions - e.g. heat and occasional sandy winds? Have their been any reliability issues that relate to how and where you fly it, perhaps conditions not unlike our American Southwest in the summers?
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

HZ-SAL wrote:One of the main issues that I am working on is to set up the Rules and Regulations governing sport flying, and any help in that matter will be highly appreciated.
That is interesting, in what capacity are you working on this?
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Welcome aboard.

Paul, I think I remember someone else from that part of the world on the forum before.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Yes, Tom. That would be our friend from Dubai, the "only one other member in the Middle East". Haven't heard from him for a while.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Good to have you here...the Sierra is a sexy aircraft, and I bet SA is a very interesting area to fly in.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Faisal -- I'm sure many of us are unaware of the regulations governing a Private Pilot in Saudi Arabia. Could you point us to a link or give us some high level details?
dave
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Welcome to the SportPilotTalk.com forum Faisal. :)
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
HZ-SAL

Post by HZ-SAL »

Thank you all for this warm welcome. You made feel at home, and I am so proud to be with you in this forum.

Regards,
Faisal
Faisal

PPL/Tecnam Sierra/OETH
HZ-SAL

Post by HZ-SAL »

drseti wrote:Many of us here are very familiar with the LSA rules, restrictions, and limitations in the US. Unfortiunately, I know of no ICAO standards for LSA operation. I have no knowledge of Saudi aviation regulations, but if they're similar to those in the US, perhaps we can provide some guidance. If the aircraft has an operating limitations sheet, you should of course comply with its restrictions.

Most of our members are in the US, with some in Europe, one or two in Australia, one in Asia, possibly one in South Africa, and as far as I know, only one other in the Middle East. So, we are happy to have you here to broaden our geographical diversity.

Safe Skies,
Paul
Thanks Paul for the warm welcome.
Saudi Civil Aviation regulations are almost an identical copy of the FAA, but there is no mention of Sport Flying (yet). I would like to start putting together rules and regulation for Sport Flying similar to FAA, but some local requirements if needed.

Faisal
Faisal

PPL/Tecnam Sierra/OETH
HZ-SAL

Post by HZ-SAL »

Jack Tyler wrote:Welcome aboard, Faisal. It's great to see some geographic diversity added to this forum, as I have seen the value of hearing from other countries about their Sport Aviation experience...although typically on other regional forums.

I think one thing we would appreciate hearing about from you about is how you experience your Tecnam Sierra. What kinds of flying are you doing with it and how does it cope with the Saudi conditions - e.g. heat and occasional sandy winds? Have their been any reliability issues that relate to how and where you fly it, perhaps conditions not unlike our American Southwest in the summers?
Thank you Jack.

The Sierra has been fun to fly for the past 8 months since bought new. Currently most flying is done within OETH (20nm north of Riyadh). As the weather becomes cooler, I plan to do several cross country (avg 200nm). In summer, flying is done at sunrise and just before sunset, rising hot air from the earth makes it dangerous to fly in mid day. No reliability issue so far, in fact the local flight school has been flying the P92 for a longer time and it been very kind.

Faisal.
Faisal

PPL/Tecnam Sierra/OETH
HZ-SAL

Post by HZ-SAL »

CharlieTango wrote:
HZ-SAL wrote:One of the main issues that I am working on is to set up the Rules and Regulations governing sport flying, and any help in that matter will be highly appreciated.
That is interesting, in what capacity are you working on this?
I am a board member of the Saudi Arabian Air Sports Federation.

Faisal.
Faisal

PPL/Tecnam Sierra/OETH
HZ-SAL

Post by HZ-SAL »

dstclair wrote:Faisal -- I'm sure many of us are unaware of the regulations governing a Private Pilot in Saudi Arabia. Could you point us to a link or give us some high level details?
Unfortunately the General Civil Aviation Authority (GACA) web site dose not have organised info but you need to go to safety section for the regulations:

http://www.gaca.gov.sa/Sectors/SectorDe ... =AR&ST=SER

Faisal.
Faisal

PPL/Tecnam Sierra/OETH