Student @ LLHZ

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

toolman

Student @ LLHZ

Post by toolman »

American expat in Israel, retired-disability firefighter paramedic, did a few hours as a CAP cadet and then a dribble of lessons as gifts from my wife.
Finally taking the time and treasure to certify.
Real job is an electrical and design engineering consultant, but I now work to fly.
Jack Tyler

Re: Student @ LLHZ

Post by Jack Tyler »

Welcome, toolman!

When you get a moment, please give us a brief glimpse of what recreational flying is like in Israel. I would have thought it was so restrictive that there's no fun in it, but it sounds like that isn't true. Where are you allowed to fly? Is there a 'ultralight' or 'light sport' presence there? Do you fly principally off paved runways at airports or are there a collection of private property owners and private airstrips, as well? Thanks for sharing!
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
toolman

Post by toolman »

There is an ultralight category including what you would call ultralights and light sports but minimum cert is a PPL. I am not 100% familiar with the rules so this is what I have gathered.
Except for flight school training areas everything is with a flight plan, there are many closed areas and flight plans must be filed with at least 24hrs prior, the air force has 100% control of the air. There are not many private airfields though I have seen at least one not on my map while flying. All flights are controlled, and require a transponder.
toolman

Post by toolman »

What I would like is to get what is termed an ultralight here(light sport in US) as a personal commuter. I have to find out how the rules are easier than for a normal single engine.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Probably a beautiful area of the world to fly in...provided you don't stray too far East... :)
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Thanks, toolman. Interesting mix of control + the freedom of flight. Seems like they've struck a reasonable balance given the circumstances.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org