Newbie from Alabama

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

motorman1974

Newbie from Alabama

Post by motorman1974 »

Hey guys and gals. Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Matt and I am 38 years old. Been intrested in flying since I was young and I am now at a point in my life where I can finally afford to do it. I started my PPL and now have 5 hours under my belt. I am starting to get more interested in just getting my Sport license. I'm really only interested in just recreational flying around my home airport and maybe taking some trips down to the beach every now and then. Of course, participating in some fly-in's. I have really been looking at trying to get my own plane and I am really interested in the Kitfox.(fold the wings and take it home on a trailer). My first question would be, if I were to buy one, can I use it to finish my sport license? We have instructors near by but no light sport planes available to rent.
Thanks.........
drseti

Re: Newbie from Alabama

Post by drseti »

Welcome aboard, Matt. Glad to have you with us!

The KitFox is a great Sport Pilot trainer, and well suited to the kind of flying you anticipate doing. Be aware that they come in several different flavors. They can be licensed as Experimental Light Sport (E-LSA), as Experimental Amateur Built (E-AB), or even as Special Light Sport (S-LSA) if you buy a factory-built one. E-LSA and S-LSA are of course both eligible to be flown by Sport Pilots. E-AB can be similarly Sport Pilot eligible, but only if their performance specs and operating limitations (issued by the Designated Airworthiness Representative who signed the bird off) fall within the LSA limitations. Most should, but be sure to check carefully before you buy one. The relevant specs are: 1320# max gross weight, fixed pitch (or ground adjustable) propeller, fixed landing gear, 45 knot max stall speed (clean), and 120 knot max cruise speed. The original KitFox design fits fine here, but some builders have been known to modify them out of SP eligibility (an example would be a constant-speed prop).

You can get the KitFox with both a conventional (tailwheel) and a tricycle landing gear. I really like the taildragger version. Though that will probably add a few hours to your training time, you will end up a better pilot. But, be aware that insurance sometimes costs more for taildraggers.

This is the place to ask any questions you might have. Glad to have you with us.

I know Alabama is a far stretch from me, but if you ever find yourself up in Central PA, and want some instruction, I'd be happy to fly with you.

Safe skies,
Paul
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US