From the German military to a US pilot!

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

SGTMIKE86

From the German military to a US pilot!

Post by SGTMIKE86 »

Hello,

I am Mike and I moved from Germany to the US in march to get married to my beautiful wife!

I finally made a dream come true and passed my LSA checkride yesterday! After a few issues with the TSA (alien flight student as they called me:)) I am finally a Pilot!

I live near Dayton OH and fly out of Greene County Airport. I fly a Tecnam P-92 Echo.

We might move to Bethesda MD next year so it would be cool if there are some people who have experience flying in this area. I know it's a little complicated since it is so close to DC.

I'm looking forward to meeting other pilots und talk all about aviation.

Mike
gmohr

Re: From the German military to a US pilot!

Post by gmohr »

Welcome SGTMIKE! I spent 8yrs stationed Germany while in the Army. Loved it.
Jump right in and enjoy the forum. Lots of great people and pilots who share their
knowledge.
Gene Mohr
Sport Pilot Upgrading to Private
180hrs and counting
designrs

Post by designrs »

Welcome Mike and congrats on your LSA Checkride!

Re: flying around Bethesda, MD, check out Fleming Aviation at Montgomery County Airpark (KGAI), 2 PiperSprorts, 1 SportCruiser, and a Carbon Cub SS. They are located within the DC Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA) and can help you get acclimated. Like most things FAA, SFRA procedures are not as confusing as the book reads once you have done it a few times and get the standard procedures and script memorized.
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

Hi Mike,

I was in the US Army in 1970-73 and stationed in Neu Ulm. I had a great time in Germany and still drink Spaten and Pauliner beers. I own a CTSW and love flying it. Welcome to the USA.
PP-ASEL, Flight Design CTSW owner.
SGTMIKE86

Post by SGTMIKE86 »

Thank you guys for that warm welcome!!
garbageman

Post by garbageman »

Check out Chesapeake Sport Pilot. They have 3 Tecnam P-92 Eaglets available for rental, and are outside of all the Washington control areas. Flat farmland, good places to eat, and almost impossible to get lost. Just over the Bay Bridge on the Maryland eastern shore.
David
SGTMIKE86

Post by SGTMIKE86 »

That looks awesome...just checked out their website! Nice landscape!
Thanks alot!
designrs

Post by designrs »

Check out DogFish eatery and brewery. Lots of special beer that might even please a German! (I especially love their "90" brew after flying)
SGTMIKE86

Post by SGTMIKE86 »

Will do when I get there:)
My wife will have to drive home then!