Hello from OK

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

Shortline

Hello from OK

Post by Shortline »

Greetings, I'm becoming interested in the LSA market, and found this forum. Probably will do a lot more reading than posting, but thought I'd say hi. Currently not flying, nearest FBO with reasonable rates is in Tulsa, 100 miles from me. (Locally, 172's are going for around $150/hr....I'm just not paying that to buzz around). Got my PPL when living up in Anchorage, flew regularly up there, then moved to Germany in 97, and haven't really flown since, other than a few times here and there. Most of my time is in 150/152's, 172's, with a little Tomahawk, Cub and Diamond Katana time thrown in, and the odd stick time in an AN-2 and L-29. Started to get my Glider rating when out in CA and have some time in a G-103 and S-2-33, but only made 7 flights or so, before I moved again....so, been about 8 years now since I've done any real flying, and almost 15 since I flew powered regularly. Starting to look at owning my own soon, deciding between the LSA or traditional airplane route. Looking at some of the newer LSA's, I'm impressed on how far they've come. Anyway, you may see me lurking around the forums a bit.
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of options for an airplane, depending on your mission and money.
You have some snazzy new LSA that go 120 kias, full glass and AP and run up to almost $200k. You can get some standard certified airplanes like the Cub and 7AC and others that are LSA compliant for $20k on up. You can make your own.
There are soaring clubs in Hinton and Pryor. (A motor glider doesn't need a medical and avoids some of the restriction of the LSA).
If you want to know how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, you are in the right place. :)
drseti

Re: Hello from OK

Post by drseti »

Shortline wrote:moved to Germany in 97, and haven't really flown since,
Welcome aboard, Shortline. I spend a lot of time in Germany (I have a son who's lived in Berlin since about when you moved to Germany), but I don't fly there, since to get a German license I'd have to pass a written test -- in German! (My social German isn't nearly good enough for a technical exam.)

The LSA movement has opened up a lot of doors. Stick around, lurk a bit, and you'll learn a bunch. Feel free to ask questions -- as long as you're prepared to get numerous contradictory answers. :wink:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
jnmeade

Re: Hello from OK

Post by jnmeade »

drseti wrote:
Shortline wrote:m I don't fly there, since to get a German license I'd have to pass a written test -- in German! (My social German isn't nearly good enough for a technical exam.)
I think things are changing, but up until recently there were N numbered airplanes in the Augsburg area that you could fly on a U.S. license. And a gazillion glider clubs.
Shortline

Post by Shortline »

All that's why I didn't fly much in Germany...other than right seat with some locals. Instead, I decided to keep in the air by skydiving. Spent a lot of weekends at the DZ, but with the wonderful European weather, I drank a lot more beer than I did 120 MPH air! But, that was a long time ago, and I don't do that anymore either.....life always getting in the way of fun!