Hi from Westchester, NY

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

budmetro

Hi from Westchester, NY

Post by budmetro »

Hello everyone,

I'm about to start SP training in Danbury, Conn. It seems like the way to go for me -- less expensive (potentially), newer aircraft and restrictions I don't mind (planes, altitude, passengers, daytime flying, etc.). I've already been asked why I don't want to go for a PPL, as if SP is just a way to avoid medical requirements. But that's not the case at all; I just think SP fits my interests. If I make it through and end up wanting to upgrade, I may do that. I look forward to using this nice site and interacting with folks. Thanks, and good luck to all!
CBKERR

Post by CBKERR »

Welcome. Visit often as this site and the people one here are very helpfully and a wealth of knowledge.

Welcome to the board and on your decision to go for your sport license

Brian
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

Welcome and good luck in your flying.
This is a good site with many people eager to help out. The usual caveats apply.
gmohr

Post by gmohr »

Bud metro,

Welcome aboard! I am a Sport Pilot for the same reason. I own an
EAB Lightning and am engaged with a CFII and working towards all the
requirements for PPL. If I decide that is what I want to do. But due to my
busy work schedule being a Sport Pilot just fits. The extra training is at my
leisure and I continue to learn new skills.

Being a Sport Pilot is everything I want and need in aviation. Enjoy the
training and most of all, have fun and lots of smooth landings!
Gene Mohr
Sport Pilot Upgrading to Private
180hrs and counting
drseti

Post by drseti »

Good to have you aboard, Bud. Luck with your training, and enjoy the journey. Don't let the "real pilots" convince you that you'll be any less skilled, capable, or respected as a Sport Pilot.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
budmetro

Post by budmetro »

Thanks so much for all the responses. I appreciate it.

The school I signed up with has the Tecnam Eaglet, by the way.

As you all know, there's an overwhelming amount of materials available to buy, read and study. The recommendation I came across lists the following items for new students: A bag, headset, fuel tester, sectional charts, plotter, E6B, logbook and kneeboard. As far as books: FAR/AIM, Airplane Flying Handbook and Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge.

I also was told to get either the ASA "Sport Pilot Checkride: A Guide to Passing the FAA Practical Flight and Oral Exam" or Gleim's "Sport Pilot FAA Knowledge Test." Any pros and cons of either? What about other companies?

And is it worth getting a kit and/or DVDs?

Sorry for these basic questions and sorry also if they should go elsewhere. Is it OK to name specific titles, etc.?

Thanks again for the assistance!
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

I don't have any heartburn with any of the stuff. If you can borrow an E-6B and plotter, do so. Do not buy an electronic E6B. Buy a decent ANR headseat - if you decide later you want a better one, that can be used for your passenger. The books are OK. I would personally not get any DVD or kit, but if you have a lot of money and like to learn that way there is nothing wrong with it. Sometimes FBOs, airports, local libraries and so forth have this stuff, but do check that it is current. Do not try to learn from something that is outdated. The main reason you need an E6B is to do the wind problems on the test. Anything else can be done with a simple four function calculator because it is almost always ratios and cross multiplication. 1 is to 2 as 2 is to X. One nice thing about the E6B is it has the formulas written right on it and that can be handy in the test room. There is no way they'd let you write the formulas down on paper and take them in. :)
There are other good FAA items free online. Try them. Then if you like them and want to buy them, OK.
In my opinion, don't buy a bunch of gadgets. Note what your CFI and others use - they probably bought a lot of junk that they never carry any more. I'd use an old sack before I'd buy a bag or kit - you can buy one after you see what others like and what is useful.
patmike

Post by patmike »

Welcome, it looks like you'll be flying with tony. I just took a ride with him in the j-3 cub last sunday at robertson (4b8). It was a blast, though a little cramped. He's the sport pilot DPE so you'll be in good hands. I was thinking of giving the tecnam a try myself. all of my training so far has been in a flight design ctls and i wanted to try something different.
good luck to ya. maybe we'll meet up sometime

Pat
budmetro

Post by budmetro »

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I met Tony, who was very helpful. I'm not sure who'll be the regular CFI yet. Hope to meet you soon, as well.
CBKERR

Post by CBKERR »

I trained in a tecnam P92 eaglet. Nice plane. As for supplies I found that a kneeboard took up to much room. I got a clip that straps to your leg. Just enough for charts flight plan. I believe that it's called the third hand and is available at all the big online shops

Brian
budmetro

Post by budmetro »

Here's another question ... Did anyone try out the Tecnam sport pilot iPad app? You can download a free version, but unlocking the full course is $200. I showed it to my instructors and they were quite impressed. Thanks.
NJMike

Re: Hi from Westchester, NY

Post by NJMike »

Okay, I'll ask. What does PPL mean?
Thanks,
Mike
zaitcev

Re: Hi from Westchester, NY

Post by zaitcev »

"Private Pilot License", which is wrong, of course, since it's a certificate, not a license. But it's a common acronym.
zaitcev

Re:

Post by zaitcev »

budmetro wrote:The recommendation I came across lists the following items for new students: A bag, headset, fuel tester, sectional charts, plotter, E6B, logbook and kneeboard. As far as books: FAR/AIM, Airplane Flying Handbook and Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge.
Sectionals are essential unless your airplane has redundant GPS with moving maps. I continue to use them even now, because I rent from whoever lets me rent and airplanes come in all kinds.

For a flight bag I use a travel bag. Why waste money on a special bag if existing one works perfectly?

About ANR headsets is probably a good advice. I have an old DC 10.13S, which works great, but ANR is good technology, better get used to it.

I plan on paper maps, so plotter comes in handy. If you go electronic from the start, you don't need it. I use a free plotter that I picked at some airshow (the theme of stinginess is becoming evident). Planning on paper allows quick overview of what's relevant just because map is much larger than the biggest Retina Display.

Kneeboard is something that paper pilots use. My first one was the cheapest piece of aluminum I could find. Later I bought a Harper kneeboard, because I wanted to keep more airport diagrams in 7-punch format, but I did not want a 3-fold that IFR pilots use. Again, if you go iPad from the start, you might not even need or want one.

Fully agree on books. You need FAR/AIM, 8083-3A, 8083-25A like you posted.