Eastern (Central?) Maine

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

Recumbentrider

Eastern (Central?) Maine

Post by Recumbentrider »

Started flying locally in a Cessna 150 until I could locate an LSA. Currently flying from Central Maine Airport, an hour and a quarter drive, to fly in a 7CCM Champ. So far my landings are nice but takeoffs, not so much. It's a learning process as I didn't have a problem with the 150.

My previous experience was in a Piper Cherokee 140 in 1973 and then to England where I had a glider certificate from 74 to 77. It's enjoyable getting back into flying, though my mind turns to mush with all the studying.

I appreciate all the information here as it shows me what others a doing. Thanks for a nice forum.

Dave
Maine
D. Atwood
PAPACHUCK

Post by PAPACHUCK »

I feel the same way about landing the C-162 as compared to the C-150 I had started my training in. I was greasing most all of my landings with the 150, but the little Skycatcher is a tad bit more touchy, especially on the elevator. It seems as soon as I pull the power over the numbers, the plane wants to veer left and then rudder works real well, almost too well.

Practice makes perfect, I guess.
drseti

Post by drseti »

PAPACHUCK wrote:as soon as I pull the power over the numbers, the plane wants to veer left
Two things to consider here:

(1) Just as applying power on takeoff induces a torque turn to the left, requiring right rudder, you can expect that reducing power to idle induces an opposite torque, requiring left rudder. If you anticipate this behavior, and be prepared for it, that right turning tendency can be compensated as you reduce power. After a while, that left rudder becomes automatic.

(2) If you wait until you're over the numbers to reduce power, you're inducing that right turning torque at the worst possible time. Why not bring the power back when you first turn final, and glide to a landing? That will give you far more time to get lined up and stabilized. In fact, you might even consider powering back to idle on downwind, and doing glider landings. No engine equals no adverse torque, plus you'll be well prepared for an emergency landing, since you'll be accustomed to maintaining a constant airspeed, and managing your descent with flaps alone.

Just a couple of thoughts to kick around with your flight instructor.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Recumbentrider

Champ gliding

Post by Recumbentrider »

My instructor has let me try several different approaches and they work out okay. Because this Champ has the "new" wing and struts, plus has been recertified with an empty weight of 865lbs and gw of 1310, it flies a little different. The new wings are 3 1/2 feet shorter and it glides well at 80mph. Very smooth all the way in.

I'm very happy to be training in a certificated aircraft. It's one thing off my mind while working towards my certificate. That being said, I did fly N706FP, the Valor on the cover of the July 2008 EAA magazine and loved it! What a nice aircraft and one I can see my wife and I in.

Dave
Maine
D. Atwood