Hi from Wisconsin

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

wingsaircharter

Hi from Wisconsin

Post by wingsaircharter »

Hi. I recently joined the forum to have as a recourse for info on Sport Pilot. I am fairly new to Sport Pilot and the forum appears to be very infomative on lots of different subject areas. I have a charter company/flight school in Wisconsin Rapids. We are a Cessna Pilot Center and purchased a new Skycatcher in December. It is a FUN airplane to fly. We also have two 310's, a 2000 Cessna 172S, a 1972 Cessna 172, and a Lake Buccaneer in our fleet. I am hoping to bring more new people into avation with the investment in the Skycatcher. Our big push now is a $2995.00 Learn to Fly package that gives 20 hours of Skycatcher time, 20 hours of CFI time, and the Cessna course. Hopefully it will get most people well on their way to a Sport Pilot rating at a price that is more acceptable than $7000 for Private. There are primarily two of us that do most of the training. We have both been flying for over 30 years. I am also a Pilot Examiner for Sport through Multi-Engine. Keep Flying!
SGTMIKE86

Re: Hi from Wisconsin

Post by SGTMIKE86 »

Hi!

I currently live in Ohio but my wife is from Wisconsin (Mauston) so we regularily go up there.

How far away are you guys located?

I am asking because I'd be interested in renting your LSA just in case one of her familymembers wants to come along for a ride.

Mike
gmohr

Post by gmohr »

Welcome wingsaircharter jump right in and enjoy the forum. Lots of great people and pilots who share their
knowledge.
Gene Mohr
Sport Pilot Upgrading to Private
180hrs and counting
FrankR

Post by FrankR »

$150/hr seems pricey.

I wonder if the $2995 is financed. Good for the school. Not so good for the student.
Frank
Fayetteville, NC
drseti

Post by drseti »

FrankR wrote:$150/hr seems pricey.
Given the operating costs, as well as the amortization of a new airplane, that seems just about right. They're not going to make money at that rate, but I'm sure their goal is not to lose any! :wink:
I wonder if the $2995 is financed. Good for the school. Not so good for the student.
Being in the business myself, I can tell you that's a very reasonable package price. As for financing, probably not. At my flight school, prepaying saves you about 10% off the pay-as-you-go price.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FrankR

Post by FrankR »

drseti wrote:
FrankR wrote:$150/hr seems pricey.
Given the operating costs, as well as the amortization of a new airplane, that seems just about right. They're not going to make money at that rate, but I'm sure their goal is not to lose any! :wink:
Being in the business myself, I can tell you that's a very reasonable package price. As for financing, probably not. At my flight school, prepaying saves you about 10% off the pay-as-you-go price.
Always keeping the peace. You're a good man Dr. Paul.

I pay $80/wet/solo for the Allegros.

Let's do a survey. Question for the renters: If you are renting (lessor or lessee), what is your current rate?
Frank
Fayetteville, NC
drseti

Post by drseti »

FrankR wrote:I pay $80/wet/solo for the Allegros.
That seems like a bargain rate. I'm guessing your FBO's overhead is less than mine. (My rental rate is dominated by insurance costs, and the fact that I have to run 100LL).
, what is your current rate?
My SportStar rents for $121/hr, including fuel and state sales tax. There's a 10% discount for prepaid 10 hour blocks. The acft was a less expensive plane than the 162, and not as new, hence the difference in Hobbs rate.

You also have to consider equipment. An acft set up for IFR training is going to have to rent for more than a basic VFR one.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
SGTMIKE86

Post by SGTMIKE86 »

I pay 104 $ wet (+tax) for the tecnam p92 e. I thought that was very reasonable.