Hello From Seattle

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

zdsweet

Hello From Seattle

Post by zdsweet »

Hey all,

I am a 16 year old who loves aviation, and has since I was given a model of a 737 when I was two years old. My first ride that wasn't a commercial jet was in a Stinson when I was 7. It was a blast and I knew from that point on that I would want to be a pilot as a profession. From when I was 7 to when I was 13ish...I flew a lot with him, and I still do now, in a Maule M5. When I was 14, I went to california to visit my great uncle, who is a charter pilot in a Beechcraft Kingair 200. He flies the owner of Sierra Nevada brewery to his vacation home in Montana a lot. So, him being a pilot, I had to get a ride. We went up, and he handed me the controls right after we rotated. I had over 400 hours on Microsoft Flight Simulator at the time and had flown in the Stinson a lot, so I was comfortable, and it was FAST. :o I flew around Chico, and then assumed he was going to take it to land. But I realized I was on approach for the runway. He asked me to put in flaps or we'd have to go around! :) So I took the oppurtunity, made sure I was on glide slope with the PAPIs and landed. That was a confidence booster! When July of last summer came up, I was anxious to go to Arlington. I had flown into the airshow there before in the Stinson and loved the experience. When I was there, I flew my R/C planes at the field they had set up. That night, I was offered a ride in a Sting Sport. I went up with Grant Smith, a great CFI from Seattle, and did 2 successfull touch and gos by myself, and from all my experience on Boston Virtual ATC (an online server on FSX for realistic ATC flying and unicom) (www.bostonvirtualatc.com), I also did most of the communications. I felt like I was seriously ready to take lessons and get this done, and take the Sport Pilot route, after talking to Grant while flying about it. The next morning I woke up early...so I had another oppurtunity to go up, this time in a PPC. I was very scared after hearing the stories about wing collapses...but I was ready. This was with Mark Martin, a local CFI with seattle power chutes. It was a great ride. He explained how I could save a lot of money learning in them, and then switch to fixed wing after getting a sport license in PPCs, and just get a sign off seperately. So I took up the offer. I started lessons the next weekend. Wow. Arlington looks a LOT different without the airshow going on! :) I took lessons for the next couple weeks and was flying PIC after 2.5 hours. The next week, I went back, took off, flew a few touch and gos with the instructor back seat, exclaiming, "perfect!" after each one. Thats an awesome feeling! :) He told me to land. After we landed he told me to set up the chute, so I did, and he came back with a radio. I just thought maybe the current one was dying...no big deal. Then he said, "you ready to go up again?" I was standing by the PPC and said, "Sure, you get in first", because typically the back seat needs to be in first for leg room. But he simply replied, "Nope." :shock: I knew what was happening. Was I ready? Is he crazy? But I hopped in, ready to go. I put on my GoPro helmet, and was quite nervous. He had a radio, not as a backup of course, but to talk to me from the ground. So, I started the engine, and took off. Freedom. I remember right after taking off seeing a small bird fly by me...and it made me realize that I was now as free as that bird too. It was a great feeling. I did a perfect first touch and go...and flew for a half hour. I landed, and got a handshake and was congratulated by others present. I now knew I was almost there. Since then, in early August, I have gotten a total of 10 hours, and will be doing my written and practical in December on my 17th birthday. I will be ready immediately after to get soloed fixed wing...and will be flying a LOT when I do, in PPCs also.
A few weeks ago I went flying in a SportStar at Renton, a towered airport. I was sitting right seat since it was a rental, but the pilot told me he would've let me sit PIC. We started up, and I ended up doing all the comms, and it was a breeze after learning how the past few years on FSX and FS9. We flew to jefferson county and back, and I had a great landing...it was a little shallow approach, but it went well. I felt like I wanted to go up in fixed wing and get that solo right then too...but I knew i'd have to wait, and itd be worthwhile. So, to sum it all up, I am proud to be a member on this forum and look forward to talking to other pilots here, and especially get my license...only two more months to go!

Zach
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Welcome aboard, Zach - and congratulations on making such good progress.

A suggestion for you: Ask around your local airports to see if you can find where the local EAA chapter meetings are held. You would find them very hospitable and - just a hunch, mind you - you will probably find many a ride available to you in many interesting a/c.

Good luck on the December tests.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org