hi there

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

Jon V

Post by Jon V »

To offer a flip side, or perhaps a trend indicator (I hope) to offset some of what Jack just said....

The FBO/school I'm using right now trains with the Remos G3. They have two of them (though at the moment one is down for repairs/maintenance) which are basically dedicated for SP training. They rent for about $90/hr.

They also have a Breezer LSA which is dedicated to recreational flying. They allow limited overnight/multi-day rentals of that plane ("within reason") and charge $100/mo plus $55/hr to rent that plane. As far as I know they don't use that plane for any training (beyond type check-outs) so you aren't competing with students for Breezer time.

Cheap? Not really. But if you fly 5 hours a month that comes out to $75/hr. Compare that to $95 an hour for a 150H from another local FBO, or another local FBO where the cheapest plane is a 172 at $145/hr.

Prices tend to be regional (i.e. flying seemed to be much cheaper in SoCal, probably because FBOs there can rent on more days per year and spread the fixed costs over more time) so don't take those as relevant for anywhere else, but it shows that LSA/SP limits aren't always that painful.
patmike

Post by patmike »

well the fbo/school thats 10 min from my house charges $135 an hour for a 172 and that was reasonable to me considering what it costs to keep a race car going on a weekly basis. under ideal conditions your talking $300 a week. things start going wrong it goes up from there. thats what made learning to fly cheap by comparison.
the next question is, do i have to go to a school with light sports or can i go to a regular one i.e. 172's for planes?
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Patmike, is the $135/hr rate wet (fuel included) and with an instructor? Or just wet? (It's been a long time since I lived in CT...but it sure wasn't cheap back then!)

I'm not sure what you're trying to ask. If you want to consider doing the longer/more expensive training to get the PPL (which is the license that has more utility and room to grow over time), then your first step is to get a definitive answer whether the FAA will grant you a 3rd Class medical (which then serves as your student license while in training). Assuming the medical is granted, you'll then be flying a Part 23 a/c (e.g. that 172) and using a CFI.

Alternatively, you can begin in the 172 while researching the medical issue and then transition to an LSA a/c (with either a CFI or CFI-S) if you later learn you are restricted to a SP license. If a regional FAA review is necessary before approving your 3rd Class medical, that can take ~6-8 weeks.

WRT to getting a firmer answer on what your prospects are, I noticed just yesterday that AOPA offers a free, 6-month membership to student pilots, with access to their full range of services and their (virtual or snail mail) monthly training magazine. Whether that is available *after* you are issued the student license or can be obtained before, I don't know...but finding out would be worth a call. aopa.org and 800/872-2672

In your shoes, I'd also canvas the geographical area in which I'd be willing to drive for training and identify the equipment available at the FBO's/flight schools in that area. This would allow you to interview potential CFI's (choice of the instructor is considered THE most important step in getting licensed to fly) as well as being able to examine and evaluate the training a/c. Remember that Jon's describing his circumstances in overpopulated SoCal. Availability of a/c can be very different in Bent Fork, Idaho, and what's important to you is what rental a/c of what type would be available to you within your commuting distance. The closest flight school may not have who, for you, will be the best instructor.

Of course, who's doing what with which a/c today can change tomorrow, for better or worse. Another reason to have the more versatile PPL license, if indeed it's available to you.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
patmike

Post by patmike »

the $135 was just for the plane. 45 extra with the instructor. i think what i was asking was for sport pilot do you have to train in a sport plane. someone told me regardless of which direction i go i still have to learn to fly an airplane. procedurally things have to be pretty close
Jon V

Post by Jon V »

Simple answer: You need a sport plane.

Accurate answer: You can train to a point but you cannot solo a 172 without the medical so your training will be stilted, and when you switch to an LSA so you can solo without the medical you'll spend hours in type familiarization. Probably a bad deal...but taking a lesson in each might help you decide whether to pick the medical fight.
patmike

Post by patmike »

Jon V wrote:Simple answer: You need a sport plane.

Accurate answer: You can train to a point but you cannot solo a 172 without the medical
ok thats what i was wondering. i'm not going to fight the medical battle since i'll be strictly recreational. i'll do it in the background, perhaps like jack said, through the aopa. i've already signed up for the trail membership but if i have to officially join it would be worth the 50 bucks for the expert help
Flyboyz

Hello from Philly

Post by Flyboyz »

Hi,
I'm student pilot with close to 20 hrs on the wings and almost getting ready for my solo.Glad to join you fine aviators.

Cheers
Chanakya