Hello from Hohenwald Tn.

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

sgallagher

Hello from Hohenwald Tn.

Post by sgallagher »

Hello

I'm Shannon Gallagher. I'm a student pilot at the moment but only have my 75 mile solo cross country to complete then my check ride, and I will have earned my ticket. I have never flown anything but a 1940 Taylorcraft and have had a instructor who really stressed x-wind takeoffs, and landing.
To date I have 58 hours in her and 470 landings. I would have finished by now but weather prevailed. I have read many of the posts on here and found them not only helpful but very informative. This is a great site for those of us starting out and flying LSA.
Hope to be able to contribute to this site as well as take from it.

Shannon
Shanon Gallagher
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Shannon, welcome to the site! I also see you over on the T-Craft forum. Tom
sgallagher

Post by sgallagher »

Yes I sometimes get on there as well although most of the time it's Chuck not me . LOL He's always online I joined here so I too could have a place to chat with other pilots.
Shanon Gallagher
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

Welcome to the boards.
sgallagher

Post by sgallagher »

Thank you
Shanon Gallagher
drseti

Post by drseti »

Nice to have you with us, Shannon. I presume that T-craft is a B model (maybe a BC-12D?) I love the side-by seating for training. (It's much better than the 7AC Champ I started in). Fly safely, and have fun.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
sgallagher

Post by sgallagher »

Actually it was originally a BLT 50 and was converted over to a BC65. Yes I love the side by side as apposed to the tandum but then I have never flown a tandum so it's hard to say if I would like it really. When it came off the line as a trainer it had only one door as well now it has 2, it had NO brakes Now it has Hydraulic brakes, as of last Christmas. The plane actually belongs to my boyfriend Chuck who is the one who sent in the 337 and documentation to FSDO to put the brakes on her. My avatar is a picture of the plane.
Last edited by sgallagher on Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shanon Gallagher
NCPilot

Post by NCPilot »

Welcome to the board! That's a beautiful aircraft. :)
sgallagher

Post by sgallagher »

Thank you, I seem to think so.
Shanon Gallagher
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

sgallagher wrote: put the breaks on her. .
Sounds like a great plane and you'll have a lot of fun with her. Are these toe brakes or heel brakes (note spelling)?

Spelling can be funny - when the FAA published the Glider Flying Handbook, there were dozens if not hundreds of examples of "breaks" instead of "brakes". What was funny, or not so funny, depending on one's viewpoint, was the dozens of instances of "wenches" instead of "winches". It may be pronounced about the same, but it is definitely, ahem, not the same meaning. Apparently the FAA didn't think it was funny because they corrected that but not many of the other errors in that handbook.
Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
ATP CFI-I/ME/G LSRM-A
sgallagher

Post by sgallagher »

Yeah my spelling falls to the wayside for speed at times when I'm typing, sorry. They are heel brakes. We used Grove wheels and brakes and Scott Master cylinders. They are set up to be in the same place that the original Shinn brakes were at.
Shanon Gallagher
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

Yes, heel brakes can take a little getting used to. Good for you.
Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
ATP CFI-I/ME/G LSRM-A
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

jnmeade wrote:Yes, heel brakes can take a little getting used to. Good for you.
I thought the same thing when I switched to toe brakes. Tom
drseti

Post by drseti »

I had a lot of trouble coordinating heel brakes in the old Champ. But at least I could use differential braking for tight taxi turns. I flew a student's Ercoupe today, and couldn't even reach the single brake pedal (on the LH side), so had to resort to the hand brake in the middle of the panel -- almost makes me appreciate heel brakes! :wink:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US