WHAT TO BUY?

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

HARDLANDING

WHAT TO BUY?

Post by HARDLANDING »

Hi ya-all;

I've been renting for a couple of years while persuing ads looking for an airplane to buy. I flew two, both Tecnam Bravo's, and liked the design. Unfortunately, both had unforseen problems ( I went to each with a cashier's check for the purchase price, fully planning to buy, but each had a problem. One had an Advanced Design EFIS, nifty, but the font size for every function was much to small to read unless I bent forward and squinted...hardly the way to make a quick scan.

The other airplane was unable to pass the annual without lots of difficulty correcting some modifications.

I'm leery of composites, having talked to owners who had experienced considerable problems with cracking and warping. A low wing design doesn't interest me because of lack of ground visability.

Any advice? Ciao, HARDLANDING
zdc

Post by zdc »

You could check out Paradise Aircraft. All metal high wing manufactured in Brazil.
drseti

Re: WHAT TO BUY?

Post by drseti »

HARDLANDING wrote:I'm leery of composites,
So am I, but for a different reason. I can easily put rivets in sheetmetal, as can most mechanics. But how many of us have access to the right epoxies, and an autoclave in which to cure them? Composites are the wave of the future, and always will be!
A low wing design doesn't interest me because of lack of ground visability.
Don't completely rule out the low-wing LSAs until you've flown some of them. The ones with the bubble canopies, short wings, and forward seating positions do work out quite well in terms of overall visibility. You might want to take a demo ride in a Tecnam Sierra, Gobosh 700S, SportStar, or Sport Cruiser (aka PiperSport) before you decide. (I like watching the terrain, and find I can do so easily in my SportStar).

Good luck -- and whatever you get, enjoy it safely!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US