Hello from Clearwater FL

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

Airman

Hello from Clearwater FL

Post by Airman »

Hello all! since i was little i wanted to fly airplanes and i am finally going to make that dream come true. I have decided to get my private pilots license. I bought a few books on line and just stated reading. So my next step is to find a instructor. I work a day job of course so i cant fly everyday but i hope that by the end of the year i will be flying on my own.

So any recommendation on where to go? I was going to call the clearwater airport and see what direction they sent me in.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Welcome aboard, Airman...

You have two basic options, and I'd encourage you to explore both of them before starting flight instruction:
-- use an existing Fixed Base Operator (known as an FBO) or flight school, who will have aircraft, instructors, periodic ground school courses, and fancy shirts to buy. This is the 'turn key' or 'one stop shopping' approach, which is one of its advantages, and an example would be the Cessna Flight Center that's based at KPIE (the identifier for St. Pete/Clearwater Int'nat'l). Other advantages are that you are working with a local business that stands behind the program you are purchasing, and should be concerned about the rep their program earns from you.
-- interview a few instructors who freelance, who will have access to local rental aircraft, and use their guidance along with those same occasional ground school courses to complete the test portion. The advantages of this approach is that it most likely will be significantly cheaper, and you will have a broader selection of instructors.

Either way, keep in mind that among all the variables it's the instructor that is the single most important ingredient in your success. (This is why I think investigating both options makes sense upfront). You want someone that's motivated to be an instructor for its own sake (which can be rare, as many instructors just want to build time and then 'move on'), draws on broad experience (you won't just be learning 'how to fly' but about 'flying', a much more all-inclusive subject), and someone who's done this for many years (which means s/he will have a well-rounded perspective on the kind of student you turn out to be).

I got my PPL using the first approach, which worked. But my wife and son used the second approach, as did I for my IFR rating, and that was much more satisfying for all of us. (FYI our instructor is still instructing in the St. Pete/Clearwater area. PM me if you want his contact details. 20 yrs. USAF, 15 yrs. commercial, 20 yrs. instructing).

Good luck to you!
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
Airman

Post by Airman »

Wow thats good information. My cousin fly's and he gave me the same advice! He took your second option. I looked into schools but there are few reason i don't want them. first is they don't really fit my lifestyle. I work a job that demands a lot of time from me so i might be able to only fly2 or 3 times a month. all the schools i have called said they need me there at least 2 a week. the second is money. I need to pay by lesson, also just to be honest i am just a common working man, im not poor.. but im sure not rich. My cousin informed me that most schools are so expensive because they charge you for a bunch of equipment that for the most part you don't need, or can find much cheaper.

Thanks and pm sent.

* also i would like to add that i have called four local schools and non of them seemed like they wanted to talk to me, they all just kept referring me to there websites. I relies that it is up to me to do my own research and know as much as i can before i start asking questions (and i did that), but i want the people to atlest not sound annoyed that a possible student that is going to give them thousands of dollars is calling.
rfane

Post by rfane »

Airman wrote:I work a job that demands a lot of time from me so i might be able to only fly2 or 3 times a month. all the schools i have called said they need me there at least 2 a week.
You would actually save money overall if you fly more often. The more often you fly, the less time you will spend relearning the stuff from the prior lessons, and the feel of the aircraft.
Roger Fane
Former owner of a 2006 Flight Design CTsw
Airman

Post by Airman »

Thanks for the advice. With my time a month i will only be able to fly 2 to 3 times a month.. maybe a few more if im lucky.
drseti

Re: Hello from Clearwater FL

Post by drseti »

Airman wrote:I have decided to get my private pilots license.
I'm sure that if you set your mind to it, you will reach this goal. Don't overlook the potential benefits of starting off with a Sport Pilot license, and then going on for the Private later. The advantages of this are that you can be a licensed pilot for half the cost, in half the time, and then enjoy flying by yourself or with one passenger, with all the experience gained being applicable to earning additional Private Pilot privileges later. Just make sure that your flight school is set up for a "two plus two" curriculum, so that everything you do as a Sport Pilot counts toward the Private.

See the WNEP video on my website (halfway down the main page, on the right), for one of my students' take on this approach.

Safe skies,
Paul
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US