Hello and a few Quicksilver Questions

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

Rotor-Head

Hello and a few Quicksilver Questions

Post by Rotor-Head »

Hi there all.. I fly gyrocopters and Quicksilvers.. and I have a few questions about my Quicksilver MXLII Sport.....

The guy I bought it from had it pretty loaded and I am wondering where I should loose weight on the machine...

It's a Rotax dual carb, dual ignition 503, with a double muffler and a pre-silencer on the carbs. It has a BRS, electric starter, battery, ELT, strobes, radio, intercoms and 2 instrument pods on it... I just feel like it overloaded and wanted the opinion of a few veteran pilots of Quicksilvers.... Flying alone is fine, but taking anyone over, say, 170lbs seems to really lower the performance....

Other than the obvious, which is getting a larger engine, does anyone have any suggestions? My thought is to loose the BRS, the ELT and the batt/starter, but I was hoping to get some opinions first... Thanks
NJMike

Post by NJMike »

Nice to meet you, Rotor-Head.

I just posted a Quicksilver W&B question...take a look at it and tell me what you think....
Thanks,
Mike
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

What a coincidence. I just saw a local pilot flying a Quicksilver MXL that he re-assembled today. He has some issues: the rear flying wires are not taut, in fact they are so slack that they do nothing in flight. Was wondering if there's a special forum for Quicksilver fliers, where help can be found for him.
NJMike

Post by NJMike »

I know of this one but there might be others:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/quicksilverflyers/
Thanks,
Mike
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

I'd be inclined to lose the radio, intercom, and instrument pods before the BRS. With a two stroke engine and the very high-drag glide performance of an open tube & fabric plane like the Quicksilver, I'd want the BRS. It's one of those things you won't need 99% of the time, but if you ever do, you'd pay everything in your bank account to get it back.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA