Greeting from PA...

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

Sling 2 Pilot

Greeting from PA...

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

I’m an old pilot and new PA resident. I’ve owned several planes over the years, sold my last in ‘09. Nearing retirement and moving to the country, wife says...What are you going to do? Me, blank stare. She, I think you need another plane. Me, Yes! Well, got my medical back, got current and decided Light Sport Aircraft is the way to go. Also, if down the road my medical situation changes, I can move to light sport rules.

Looking forward to listening and learning from all hear.
drseti

Re: Greeting from PA...

Post by drseti »

First off, welcome to the forum. Second, welcome to my state! I run a small flight school on Piper Memorial Airport (KIPT) in Lock Haven, birthplace of the Cub.

So, where do you base your Sling?

Since you now have an FAA medical, there's really no reason to ever limit yourself to Sport Pilot privileges. Check up on the new Basic Med rules. They allow you to let your med lapse, get a physical with your primary care physician, take an online medical self assessment course, and then continue exercising Private Pilot privileges (say or night, VFR or IFR), in singles or twins up to six seats and 6000 pounds max gross, up to 250 KIAS and 18,000 ft MSL.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

Thank you drseti, for the warm welcome. I look forward to visiting you at Lock Haven, it’s been quite a while since my last visit. My Sling is ordered, delivery is expected around April or May. Keeping my fingers crossed. I’m in Wayne Co. I think Lock Haven is probably the nearest Rotax service center, nice to know it’s not too far.

Again, I Look forward to meeting you!
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

Welcome to the forum. Wayne looks like coal county :D

If you get down to Lancaster (KLNS) be sure to stop by Bristell USA: http://www.bristellusa.com
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Before I got my Sting S4, I actually was on the verge of placing an order for a Sling 2 LSA with these guys : http://www.midwestskysports.com/sling-2-slsa/

Ultimately, I just couldn't get the price down below 170 K and couldn't justify spending that much money ... I am curious what sort of Sling 2 you getting ?

My original spec was for:
-Rotax 914
-BRS
-Single Garmin 3x touch

Even at the lower end, Sling 2 with 912 ULS + BRS was coming down to around 150 K so , compared to 110 K I paid for 150 hours ( almost new ) Sting S4 , it was hard to justify 40K+ premium for a very similar plane.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

Warmi wrote:Before I got my Sting S4, I actually was on the verge of placing an order for a Sling 2 LSA with these guys : http://www.midwestskysports.com/sling-2-slsa/

Ultimately, I just couldn't get the price down below 170 K and couldn't justify spending that much money ... I am curious what sort of Sling 2 you getting ?

My original spec was for:
-Rotax 914
-BRS
-Single Garmin 3x touch

Even at the lower end, Sling 2 with 912 ULS + BRS was coming down to around 150 K so , compared to 110 K I paid for 150 hours ( almost new ) Sting S4 , it was hard to justify 40K+ premium for a very similar plane.
Sorry to hear. You should have dealt directly with The Airplane Factory in Torrance. I demo’d both a ULS and an iS. I went with the 912 ULS. It’s lighter, costs a bit less and is super reliable. The 914 IMO is overkill unless you operate at high altitude all of the time and the iS is still too New for my tastes. My last plane was injected and a PITA to start when hot. The Sling2 i ordered is well equipped, more avionics, minus the chute and I’m nowhere near what you were quoted by Midwest.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Welcome to the forum. It’s a wealth of information and a great bunch of people. An invaluable resource to any LSA owner or soon to be owner.

The Sling is a nice plane and very similar to my SportCruiser. I hope you enjoy it. The 912 ULS is a great engine and I agree with you about the 914.
cam737

Post by cam737 »

Welcome Sling 2 Pilot! I am also looking at the Sling 2 S-LSA. I flew with Jean at TAF in CA last August. We had a blast and I really fell in love with the Sling 2. Too much fun. I am looking to buy SLSA new soon. I am l leaning toward Sling 2, plain 912 Rotax, VFR Garmin G3X, auto-pilot, and chute. I am interested in hearing how you equipped your Sling 2 and your impression so far of TAF purchase experience.
Cam
cam737
Sling 2 Build
[email protected]

swa
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

cam737 wrote:Welcome Sling 2 Pilot! I am also looking at the Sling 2 S-LSA. I flew with Jean at TAF in CA last August. We had a blast and I really fell in love with the Sling 2. Too much fun. I am looking to buy SLSA new soon. I am l leaning toward Sling 2, plain 912 Rotax, VFR Garmin G3X, auto-pilot, and chute. I am interested in hearing how you equipped your Sling 2 and your impression so far of TAF purchase experience.
Cam
Hi cam737, Jean, Matt and Barry are awesome. I also flew with Jean. Several days before I took a demo in the RV-12 at the factory. As they say, the Sling, “is a real airplane”. Mine is being built now. I went with Garmin, AP, backup gauge and no chute. The Sling is heavier out of the box compared to others, mainly due to all the fuel it can hold. It’s a robust design also. I’ve done the math, even with me and the Mrs, we can carry 3+ hrs of fuel. IIm done flying long legs on cross country’s. Good luck and let me know if you pull the plug on a Sling.
cam737

Post by cam737 »

Thanks John. Did you go with Garmin G5 for backup instrument?
Cam
cam737
Sling 2 Build
[email protected]

swa