What LSA's can be flown in IMC?

On September 1, 2004 the FAA inaugurated a new pilot certificate dubbed the "sport pilot" that makes learning to fly easier and more affordable that ever. Intended primarily for recreational use, you can now become a pilot with as little as 20 hours of flight instruction! In addition, the FAA also created a new category of affordable "light-sport aircraft"!

Moderator: drseti

loumancuso

What LSA's can be flown in IMC?

Post by loumancuso »

Does anyone know what LSA's can be flown in IMC?
Attachments
Bristell in Flight
Bristell in Flight
Bill Roger's plane in small file.JPG (20.71 KiB) Viewed 16020 times
joey4420

Re: What LSA's can be flown in IMC?

Post by joey4420 »

Any E-LSA that is properly equipped for such flight. Basically from what I have read if it is Experimental i.e. 51% built by end user or to end users specs and they sign off on it. Then you can fly it IMC. The down side from what I have read is then it will reduce the resale value of the aircraft if that is something you are looking at in the future.
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Double Eagle N35DE
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

SLSA with airworthiness certificate issued before I think the date is April 2010 can be flown in IMC if approved by the manufacture. Any SLSA after that point can not be flown in IMC. ELSA can be flown in IMC if approved on the operating limitations and they have the required equipment. LSA with airworthiness certificates issued in the standard category can fly in IMC if equipped per 91.205 (d), unless it is not approved on the TCDS.
designrs

Post by designrs »

joey4420 wrote:Any E-LSA that is properly equipped for such flight. Basically from what I have read if it is Experimental i.e. 51% built by end user or to end users specs and they sign off on it. Then you can fly it IMC. The down side from what I have read is then it will reduce the resale value of the aircraft if that is something you are looking at in the future.
I believe there is the possibility of a one-time return to S-LSA after E-LSA, provided no major alterations and/or the plane is returned to factory specs. Can experts confirm?
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

designrs wrote: I believe there is the possibility of a one-time return to S-LSA after E-LSA, provided no major alterations and/or the plane is returned to factory specs. Can experts confirm?
Technically, perhaps.

But it would take the manufacturer certifying that the plane still met or had been returned to ASTM S-LSA standards, without any deviation from original, not just major alterations. I think the chances of them doing that are vanishingly small - what's in it for them?

Does anyone know of a single case of that happening?
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]