2016 Expo

If you're interested in all things Sport Pilot/Light Sport Aircraft, this is the place to be every January! Mark your calendars. http://www.sport-aviation-expo.com

Moderator: drseti

Flocker

2016 Expo

Post by Flocker »

We're about three months away from the 2016 Expo. Anyone plan on attending?
Aviation Real Estate Broker
drseti

Re: 2016 Expo

Post by drseti »

I'll absolutely be there, Flocker. Scheduled to give four FAA Safety Team Wings presentations, and to perform with the Flying Musicians. Hope to see you there!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
designrs

Post by designrs »

Will be there, as always!
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
designrs

Post by designrs »

SportPilot wrote:Do you see many used planes for sale there or is it all manufacturers with new demo planes?
There were several used planes for sale in the ramp parking / display area.
Not a whole lot but I few.

I would imagine that a few dealers within the show the might have a demo aircraft with some hours on it ready to sell.

Probably a lot of word of mouth opportunities if you speak about what you are looking for at the show. Everyone there knows somebody. Lots of connections!
drseti

Post by drseti »

It's family reunion number 11, Richard. By now everybody there knows everybody else. :)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

designrs wrote:
SportPilot wrote:Do you see many used planes for sale there or is it all manufacturers with new demo planes?
There were several used planes for sale in the ramp parking / display area.
Not a whole lot but I few.

I would imagine that a few dealers within the show the might have a demo aircraft with some hours on it ready to sell.

Probably a lot of word of mouth opportunities if you speak about what you are looking for at the show. Everyone there knows somebody. Lots of connections!
Sounds like they could/should put up a bulletin board somewhere central. Would need to get the word out ahead of time so attendees would know to bring their fliers.
- Bruce
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

The show organizers have attempted, in the past for multiple shows, to feature used LSA (and other) aircraft that were for sale. They've provided featured parking, some organized promotional efforts and such. But this never seems to produce much of a draw from sellers. Too cheap to pay a fee? Chicken & egg dilemma, with previous lack of participation breeds more of the same? Mostly tire kickers and local citizens who come out for the novelty of the show? Probably a mix of reasons....
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
designrs

Post by designrs »

I think it is a logistics issue for used sellers. Very few people would fly long distances across the country to put their plane on the sales ramp. Most likely the planes there are reasonably local.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I've done a couple of prebuy examinations there for customers in years past, but in both cases the planes were from in-state sellers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
designrs

Post by designrs »

It's got to be a logistics issue for private sellers... Who wouldn't want their plane for sale on the ramp at Sebring?
designrs

Post by designrs »

It would be cheaper than a broker to hire a ferry pilot to fly the plane in.
Odds of selling? My guess 30% to 50% if the plane is desirable and priced right.

Say the plane is worth $100k.
A broker might charge 7% to 15%.
A ferry pilot is probably about $400 a day.
So maybe $2k round trip to the expo.
$1k if the plane is sold.

All hypothetical... but an interesting idea,
as long as the seller could find a trusted person to ferry it.

Of course, do it yourself & fly it in would take some effort.
Ideal though for someime interested in attending the expo anyway.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Yes, I get the 'logistics' rationale. But I don't think that means there isn't used a/c sales potential there IF the event enjoyed that kind of reputation. At the first Sebring show I attended - January, 2011 or almost five years ago - the bloom had apparently fallen from the rose. There were a number of dealers & distributors who were exhibiting new LSAs but also many used models. Essentially, they had bought LSA a/c for both training and demo purposes a few years earlier, expecting a big wave of both SPL training and LSA sales growth and it just didn't happen to the extent they expected. (These folks were from the Southeast as I recall, but not just Florida.) I had no prior exposure to the Sebring show, and was just beginning to research the LSA marketplace since we were living in Australia at that time. The scene generally struck me as a bit forlorn and I heard several sad stories from the sellers.

Florida has the second largest population of licensed pilots (after California) and I believe the largest flight training industry in the country. I suspect Florida's aircraft ownership numbers are also quite high. So in my view the inventory of used LSA a/c is certainly sufficiently available should the Sebring show seem worth the effort. My bet is that it's mostly a chicken 'n egg circumstance: The Sebring event just isn't widely known as a place to shop & buy used a/c, despite the concerted effort the show owner made at least twice that I'm aware of. (It also doesn't help that we a/c owners are a cheap bunch. <g>)
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
designrs

Post by designrs »

Book your hotels now.
Inn On The Lakes already sold out for Friday.
I'm arriving Wednesday, departing Friday.
Will fly in if the weather is good!

Looking forward to a great event, and seeing many friends.
Mark Gregor

Post by Mark Gregor »

I will be there as usual at the Tecnam display. I know a lot of you but not all. Some I just likely have not put the name and the face together.

Anyway, if your in the Tecnam area stop by and introduce yourself.

You can call me Mark or Jake. Mark is my real name, I just used Jake on here when I joined on here because it was an old nickname.

Mark Gregor
507-327-9465
Tecnam US Inc.