2015 Expo

If you're interested in all things Sport Pilot/Light Sport Aircraft, this is the place to be every January! Mark your calendars. http://www.sport-aviation-expo.com

Moderator: drseti

designrs

Re: 2015 Expo

Post by designrs »

I also noticed that Eddie kept going back to the Bristell TDO interior. Me too! That red Bristell taildragger was amazing. If I were financially unlimited I would have picked that plane up pronto and started tailwheel training!
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

designrs wrote:
Merlinspop wrote:I did notice you had to keep turning back towards the young lady at the RV display. I can't blame you for that, not even a little!
The young lady is Kaitlyn Tepe from the Vans RV-12 team. She was fantastic in responding to any questions about the RV-12 on several occasions when I emailed Vans.
Kaitlyn is the young lady that I worked with when I bought my RV-12 SLSA last year. She's a credit to Vans and was extremely responsive and helpful to me during the process. I never met her in person but we talked many times on the phone and e-mailed a lot.

She's been learning to fly the RV-12. She recently called me to follow up on my experience with the RV-12 and noted all my critiques, suggestions and a few complaints.

Another excellent contact for Vans is Mitch Lock the East Coast demo pilot for Vans. He won't 'sell' you an RV-12 but he'll sit with you in his hangar and answer ALL your questions and provide a meaningful flying demo.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

designrs wrote:
Merlinspop wrote:I did notice you had to keep turning back towards the young lady at the RV display. I can't blame you for that, not even a little!
The young lady is Kaitlyn Tepe from the Vans RV-12 team. She was fantastic in responding to any questions about the RV-12 on several occasions when I emailed Vans.
You know how sometimes you can tell from the look on someone's face whether they know their subject matter cold or whether they're trying to BS you? Even in the brief, super sped up clip, Kaitlyn looked like she was the real deal. I was just noting that she appeared to be not the least bit unpleasant to engage in conversation.
- Bruce
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

BTW, the prior day I had inquired about an RV12 demo flight and put my name down on a list.

THAT was the main reason I spent so much time with that young lady.

Which is the story I'll be sticking to.

In any case, demo flights were backed up since a second RV12 was delayed by the same weather that kept the Sky Arrow and some other planes away. So I never did get that demo flight.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

designrs wrote:I also noticed that Eddie kept going back to the Bristell TDO interior. Me too! That red Bristell taildragger was amazing. If I were financially unlimited I would have picked that plane up pronto and started tailwheel training!
Yes, the Bristell TDO is uber-sexy. Does the tailwheel look like it's substantial enough? In pictures it was hard to tell.
- Bruce
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Merlinspop wrote:Does the tailwheel look like it's substantial enough? In pictures it was hard to tell.
Looked pretty substantial - you can zoom in to the photo below for some idea:

Wheel and tire about the same size as my Sky Arrow nosewheel!
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Yep, looks like it'd be fine on most moderately well maintained grass strips. Very attractive ship. Thanks for the picture. Was the front end tied down as a 'belt and suspenders' deal?
- Bruce
designrs

Post by designrs »

Merlinspop wrote:Yep, looks like it'd be fine on most moderately well maintained grass strips. Very attractive ship. Thanks for the picture. Was the front end tied down as a 'belt and suspenders' deal?
Not sure about how they tied the nose. It caught my attention as well as I did not see the actual attachment point.

The winds were kicking up Friday late afternoon. It was not enough to move secured airplanes, but I'd be worried about small objects flying around and would have been paranoid if my plane was sitting out there! I encouraged a few vendors to tidy up anything that wasn't tied down.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Hey Flocker tell us about your P2008 demo flight.
Can you let any pictures? I like the one of the different paint scheme on the RV-12 SLSA. Did you get a picture of the Tecnam?
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

Nomore767 wrote:Hey Flocker tell us about your P2008 demo flight.
Can you let any pictures? I like the one of the different paint scheme on the RV-12 SLSA. Did you get a picture of the Tecnam?
Per your request HH...

2014 Turbo P2008

Carbon Fiber

Garmin G3X Touch Avionics

Demo flight was cut short due to MVFR conditions. Nothing significant to report. The 914 Turbo performed flawlessly.
Last edited by Flocker on Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aviation Real Estate Broker
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Jim,

Thanks for the pix!

How about sharing the RV-12 SLSA pic on the forum?

Did they have a regular P2008 available? This year, and last year, they demoed the 914 Rotax powered plane. What was the price tag?
How about the Astore, did you get a look at that?
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

Nomore767 wrote:Did they have a regular P2008 available? This year, and last year, they demoed the 914 Rotax powered plane. What was the price tag?
How about the Astore, did you get a look at that?
In regards to a "regular" '08, I did not see one. There was another one on the showroom floor; however, it was still wrapped with no wings. It had a 914 installed.

In regards to price on the pictured aircraft, I was quoted a base price of $210K with a negotiable Expo discount. FYI, I was told the next day (by the Director of Sales) that the demo plane was not for sale. Obviously there was a communications "disconnect" between the Sales Reps.

Side note: The '08 had a squawk - the tach was inop. No RPMs on the tach. We relied on MP to keep the engine within operating limitations.

PS - The Astore looked incredible. Very similar in "fit & finish" to the '08. They had 2 on the showroom floor. Sorry, no pics. My focus was only on high wing designs.
Aviation Real Estate Broker
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Flocker...

Any closer to making up your mind?
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

The P2008 TC is truly a lovely airplane.

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All- ... 04p_tecnam

This was the AOPA review from last year right after the Expo. It's the airplane we did the demo flights in.

Beautifully made and equipped. Very thoughtfully designed. Of course the price reflects this. This model was $219K as tested.

The weight is very high. This airplane has a very small useful load check the stats.

I always scratch my head at the Tecnam sales culture. No plain 2008? All turbos? Nice showroom but tach not working for an Expo demo?
They seem to always have a take it or leave it sales approach. They've only got 19 on the US register including sales planes. Astore has maybe 3 or 4. Not exactly making a lot of sales.

Just makes me wonder…wasn't this year the 'Affordable aircraft Expo?".