Tecnam P92 Eaglet with Lycoming 0-233 Engine

If you're interested in all things Sport Pilot/Light Sport Aircraft, this is the place to be every January! Mark your calendars. http://www.sport-aviation-expo.com

Moderator: drseti

CharlieTango

Re: Tecnam P92 Eaglet with Lycoming 0-233 Engine

Post by CharlieTango »

My best friend flies a Europa with a 914. His first maintenance issues were carb problems.

The 914 is more complex with the turbo but it is a low compression engine and more reliable in that regard.
drseti

Post by drseti »

CharlieTango wrote: His first maintenance issues were carb problems.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if Rotax produced an engine that was both fuel injected and turbocharged?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

jake wrote:I have almost 100 hours now in the 914 P2008. As others have noted the engine is very smooth compared to the 912. Almost electric smooth.
The main thing you will notice is the much better thrust. This engine may only be rated 15 hp more but as many have said it feels like a lot more. The rotax 914 is turbo boosted up to 40 inches manifold pressure. Most Lycoming or continentals turbos are turbo normalized up to standard atmospheric pressure or slightly above.

It is true there is more potential with a constant speed prop but even with a fixed pitch the 914 is a whole new world. You really need to try it to see. Nothing wrong with the standard 912. Just that the 914 is very smooth, quiet and powerful in comparison.

Jake
Jake,

I did a demo at Sebring in a 914 Turbo powered P2008 . Really nice plane and great engine. Not sure I'd need a 914 turbo but I would be interested in your ownership experience with the P2008 and with Tecnam. (Feel free to PM in confidence).

What avionics package did you select? There are numerous options and although the brochure mentions price it doesn't mention weight. The demo plane had 3 x GX3.
I can't remember what the empty weights were of the two demo aircraft at the Expo except that i think they were in the very low 800lbs range.

I thought I'd pushed the throttle to full in the 914 Turbo but the demo pilot said there was a slight pause and I guess the turbo kicked in and we got another push of power. It seemed very quiet and smooth. Of course it comes with a price and as Paul said unless you're over the mountains or at altitude I'm not sure what the benefits would be for me and my mission.

I thought about the 912 IS which adds a bit of weight but eliminates the carbs and need for carb heat. Again, is it worth the extra cost and weight?

I like the optional thermostat, and would select nose wheel steering.

Overall, a remarkable airplane. Again, I would appreciate any insight or tips from your own experience.

Cheers, Howard
Mark Gregor

Post by Mark Gregor »

TBO is 2000 hours just like the 912.

We have not had any problems yet. Tecnam tells us the 914 sometimes gets a bad rap because it is regularly installed in experimentals where it sometimes is not installed properly. They tell us with proper maintenance and installation they have not see more trouble with the 914.

Time will tell but I sure like it so far.
Jake
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

Nomore767 wrote:I can't remember what the empty weights were of the two demo aircraft at the Expo except that i think they were in the very low 800lbs range.
I e-mailed this question to their Sales Rep, Eli, this afternoon. I will post his response.
Aviation Real Estate Broker
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

914 has flown hundreds of thousands of hours in Predators... 'military seems to like it.
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

As a (barely relevant) aside...

I was at the Cirrus "Migration" when Tornado Alley Turbo announced a partnership with Cirrus to turbo-normalize the SR22. It's an incredibly well thought out and "clean" installation.

But now that it's been in service for many years, the forum posts leave absolutely no doubt that there is increased maintenance and cost associated with the installation. Significant costs at times as components need to be replaced.

Not to say it's not worth it for the increased performance. But as in most things, there's clearly no free lunch.

As an even less relevant aside, Cirrus pretty much dropped the TAT installation with the introduction of the SR22T with a Continental turbocharged engine. Lively debate as to the pros and cons of each installation.

None of this directly reflects on turbo'd ROTAX's, but just something to keep in mind.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

ct4me wrote:914 has flown hundreds of thousands of hours in Predators... 'military seems to like it.
True. Given the altitude at which the Predator A loiters, a turbocharged engine is pretty much mandatory. Of course, we don't typically fly that high, so the advantages may not be fully realized in an LSA.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

dstclair wrote:I'm a tall guy and could not physically fit.
I'm 6'5" and I fit into P92 okay. Not worse than into CTLS, anyhow. However, there could be changes over the years, and the visibility to the sides is still dangerously poor, like on any high wing with a tall pilot.

Griffin let me try P2002 and strangely enough I can fit into Sierra too, although barely.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Turbochargers are really valuable in a high density altitude situation, in that they reduce takeoff roll and improve rate of climb.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »