2014 Expo

If you're interested in all things Sport Pilot/Light Sport Aircraft, this is the place to be every January! Mark your calendars. http://www.sport-aviation-expo.com

Moderator: drseti

drseti

2014 Expo

Post by drseti »

Although it's still half a year away, plans are already underway for the 2014 Sport Aviation Expo, 16 - 19 January at Sebring. Sport Pilot Talk is again a media sponsor, and your Humble (OK, maybe not so humble) Moderator will again be present, giving various FAA Safety Team seminars. Plus, the Flying Musicians Association (including Yours Truly) will once again be performing. I hope to see a good many of you there to celebrate the tenth anniversary of the US Sport Pilot rule.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Flocker

Re: 2014 Expo

Post by Flocker »

I will be there! Anyone willing to share flight time from Atlanta, hit me up!
Aviation Real Estate Broker
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Let's see -- drummer... Isn't that someone who hangs out with musicians? :wink:

Sure, we can always use rhythm backup. Bring your drumsticks (we'll provide the drum set)!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

I'm starting to make tentative plans to go to the Expo in January. This will be my first.

January weather on the East Coast is usually pretty iffy. While I would love to rent a Sport Cruiser from GAI and fly cross country from up here, the mention of 10 hours (give or take for winds) each way @120 per makes my piggy bank start squealing loudly. So I'm guessing the best bet is to reserve a cramped seat in a big aluminum shipping tube to Orlando, then rent a car and drive from there. Yes? Looks like a couple of hours drive.

Timing... reading reports from last year make me think that being there bright and early on Thursday gains nothing. So Fly down on Thursday. Guessing also that they start rolling up the carpets early on Sunday, so an afternoon flight out on Sunday would probably be the ticket.

Lodging... I'm up in the air about that. I need a door that locks, a reasonable belief that the sheets and towels are clean, and functional plumbing. The less I spend on lodging, the more I can spend at the Expo. Suggestions are welcome.

I intend to hop a few demo rides, talk to any and everyone I can. Meet up with anyone from the various forums (fora?) who want to consume adult beverages and eat things that used to say "mooo" (motto: vegetables is what food eats). I have a few friends in the Tampa area that I'd like to meet part way and tell lies about the old days.

Am I missing anything?
- Bruce
drseti

Post by drseti »

Merlinspop wrote:I'm starting to make tentative plans to go to the Expo in January.
That's super, Bruce. We'll finally get a chance to meet. :)
fly cross country from up here, the mention of 10 hours (give or take for winds) each way
First time I went to Sebring, it took me 9 hours each way in the SportStar (from KLHV).
reserve a cramped seat in a big aluminum shipping tube to Orlando, then rent a car and drive from there.
That's what I did the next two times. Much cheaper, but a lot less fun. (Next year, I'm planning to do the SportStar trip again.)
Looks like a couple of hours drive.
Figure more like three.
being there bright and early on Thursday gains nothing.
Unless you're looking at the social aspect. Some really great pre-Expo parties Wednesday night.
Guessing also that they start rolling up the carpets early on Sunday, so an afternoon flight out on Sunday would probably be the ticket.
The last trip down, I left at Noon for a 5:30 PM flight. That gave me enough time to return the rental car and get checked in comfortably.
Lodging... I'm up in the air about that.
I've stayed once at Chateau Elan (very nice but a bit pricey) and twice at In on the Lakes (more affordable but more austere). Will probably do Inn on the Lakes again, but it's far enough from the airfield that a rental car is necessary.
Am I missing anything?
Don't forget to take in a Flying Musicians Association concert or two in the Aeroshell Tent.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
deltafox

Post by deltafox »

How far in advance should reservations be made? January seems a long way off but hotels may fill up quickly.
Dave
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Paul, can you coach me a bit on what kinds of shuttle/transfer services exist, beyond simply calling a cab, between e.g. the Inn you mentioned (or another nearby hotel) and the airport? (I'm guessing 'not much'...) I agreed to do a program linking Sport Aviation with the RAF's mission and, when thinking about my Jax point A to Sebring's point B, flying would be oh-so much easier than driving...and might even make it possible to do a day trip vs. needing to stay overnight. Also, if a room is necessary, how healthy did you find the food at the Inn? Thanks, Coach.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
drseti

Post by drseti »

deltafox wrote:How far in advance should reservations be made?
Do it now, Dave. You can always cancel 24 hours in advance if your plans change.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

Jack Tyler wrote:Paul, can you coach me a bit on what kinds of shuttle/transfer services exist
Unfortunately, Expo does not run a shuttle to Inn on the Lakes (you'd think they would...) but the seaplane base is just across the highway and down a couple of blocks, and there is shuttle service to/from there. Also, there are lots of Expo attendees who stay there, so it might be possible to hitch a ride with someone who has a car.
how healthy did you find the food at the Inn?
They have an excellent hot breakfast, several choices, included in the room rate. I never ate other meals there, because so many lunch/dinner events and options exist on the airport.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Which is better to fly commercially, Tampa or Orlando? This early, I'm seeing Some good fares into both.
- Bruce
newamiga

Post by newamiga »

I am planning on trying to fly my Gobosh (Aero AT-4) down there again this year. Hoping for better weather than last year on the way down as well as at the show. I flew down commercial last year but ended up only staying for one day as it just seemed pretty dead with the weather the way it was. Paul, I hope to actually meet in person since we didn't get to last year.

Carl
Private Pilot and RV-12 Builder
newamiga

Post by newamiga »

I was just looking at the Chateau Elan to make reservations and it is showing $125 a night. Not super cheap but they do have a shuttle.. at least it still shows the shuttle from there. I am not sure if that is just an artifact left over from last years web site? If you are flying into MCO or TPA you are still going to need to get a rental car anyway so the shuttle may not be as much of a factor.

Carl
Private Pilot and RV-12 Builder
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

FYI. I just got off the phone with the Inn on the Lake. They have a few rooms left. Smoking only. With the Expo discount, they're $94/night.

I recently got checked out in a 162 at F45 [just north of West Palm Beach] so I'm thinking of flying commercial into PBI and, weather permitting, flying the 162 into Sebring. My backup plan would be to rent a car & drive.

Any tips/suggestions on flying into Sebring?
Aviation Real Estate Broker
drseti

Post by drseti »

Flocker wrote:Any tips/suggestions on flying into Sebring?
Brush up on your crosswind landings. For some reason, it always seems to be windy at Expo. :cry:

Glad you're coming, Flocker. I look forward to meeting you there. I'm also staying at Inn On the Lakes (for the third time), so will maybe see you at breakfast.

FWIW, I stayed at Chateau Elan once. It's very nice, and conveniently situated, but more expensive.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US