Cross Country Requirements

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

dcharding

Cross Country Requirements

Post by dcharding »

I am getting ready to do my cross country for SP. The rule states:

One solo cross-country flight of at least 75 nautical miles total
distance, with a full-stop landing at a minimum of two points and one
segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of at least
25 nautical miles between the takeoff and landing locations.

So, my question is about the full stop landing at a minimum of 2 points. Is my home field, where I end my cross country, one of the points? Or do I need to do a full stop landing at 2 other airports? Making for a total of 3 landings.

Thanks
Dave Harding
1946 Aeronca Champ
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Dave, as far as I know your home field counts as one of the stops. In other words, how many landings you log. Typically, a student will take off from point A, fly to point B and land, then fly to point C and land, then return to point A and land.
But last week I did my dual cross country (with my CFI). We went from point A to point B, then to point C, then to point D, and then to point A. But maybe that was because he wanted me to get in one Class B, one Class C, one Class D, track a VOR, get flight following, and also about 25% of the flight was over water. Then today I did my solo cross country, from Point A to Point B ( a different point B) and back to Point A. In both cases I made a full stop landing "at a minimum of two points".
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Mike - quick question. Sport Pilot originally didn't permit flying controlled airspace, or require electronic navigation (VOR) experience. Has that been added to your Sport Pilot training recently?

Thanks.
Tom
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

i think sport pilot rules did originally permit controlled airspace, except class a but it didn't' require it. an endorsement or higher level certificate required.

vor navigation was never required. however to fly in controlled airspace you do have to be properly equipped.
dcharding

X-Country & Class Airspace

Post by dcharding »

Sp does not allow flight through B/C/D airspace without an endorsement:
The rule has been designed to incorporate "building blocks", which will allow the Sport Pilot to, with additional training and endorsements:
• Fly in class B, C and D airspace
• Additional category and class endorsements may be added
Training with your CFI will allow the endorsement to be added to your logbook. Note that Class A airspace is off limits regardless of any training/endorsement.

As far as 2 or 3 locations for landing, I am just going to do a triangle and make stops at 2 other locations. If I am confused, and others have opinions, well, I won't be taking a chance that I am in error. FWIW my route:
KAPV-L22-KDAG-KAPV which works out to 120nm.
Dave Harding
1946 Aeronca Champ
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

OOPS! I'm sorry...I've caused some confusion here. Please disregard my response above. I am training for a regular PPL in a Cessna 172 and therefore I am in a different program. The reason I am in this group is, I want to fly aircraft in the Light Sport category as well as in the Normal and Utility categories.