LSA training Concord, CA

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Chuckhhill

LSA training Concord, CA

Post by Chuckhhill »

Sterling Aviation located in the San Francisco Bay Area, in Concord CA (KCCR) has an LSA available for training and rental, (my Tecnam Bravo, N649BV on leaseback). Rental rate is $99.00/hour.

Telephone: 925-687-2850

E-mail: [email protected]

(The web site has not been updated to reflect the addition of N649BV)
Chuck
EppyGA

Post by EppyGA »

Would you care to share details of your leaseback agreement?

[email protected]
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Actually, I'd be interested in how that leaseback is working myself. Every leaseback owner I've talked to (forums and in person) has discovered their agreement was almost guaranteed to fail financially.

They were talked into buying a new plane, then putting it on leaseback "so other guys will pay to rent your plane". But then they discover they owe more for insurance and inspections as a rental plane, the FBO advertises it as their own "new plane", it's not treated well, and it's seldom rented despite the owner having to make the monthly payments regardless.

Tom
Chuckhhill

Post by Chuckhhill »

The way it works is basically that I pay for all the expenses except for running the office. I set the rental rate, and they keep $20/hour.
Chuck
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Hi Chuck. Thanks for the quick reply.

That sounds unusually simple - and quite possibly very expensive for you, tho' I don't know what "all expenses except for running the office" means.

Usually a leaseback means you buy the plane, "assign it" to the FBO, the FBO does the maintenance and sets a percentage of the rental they'll pay to you when the plane is rented.

Thanks.
Tom
Chuckhhill

Post by Chuckhhill »

My break even point is between 250 and 300 hours/year. I expect to make a small amount renting about 400 hours/year, but another way to look at it is comparing cost to renting and that break even is at a much lower usage rate.

As the price of fuel goes up, the LSA looks better and better.
Chuck