Learning in Cessna 150

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

oceans

Learning in Cessna 150

Post by oceans »

Hi, Is it possible to train for a sport pilot lic. in a cessna 150 and then recieve a sport pilot certificate?

Thanks
Ken
:lol:
Ken
><)))'>
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Hi Ken. If you've read the recent forum posts, you know you're not alone in asking that question.

You can take all your sport pilot training *up until solo* in just about any small plane. A Cessna 150 is fine; same for a 152, 172, Cherokee, Warrior, etc. But without a current medical cert. you can't solo or do any solo work (including checkride) unless you're in a Light Sport Aircraft.

In other words, you can't get the sport pilot certificate with a sport pilot checkride in the 150, but you can take about 75% of your training in the 150.

Be sure your instructor knows you're interested in sport pilot training. Any cfi can teach a sport pilot, but not all cfi's are interested in doing that.

Feel free to ask questions. That's why we're here.
Tom
oceans

Learning in a 150

Post by oceans »

Thank you CTFlyer for such a quick responce. I just think it would be easier to do most the training in something bigger.
You answered my question.

Thanks
Ken
Ken
><)))'>
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

oceans wrote:...I use to fly about 30 years ago but I'm not about to pay the money it takes to renew my pilots licence so I can pay 50 dollars an hour for a cessna.
(Plus Fuel and Insurance). :D

Thanks
Ken

it doesn't take any time or money to renew your pilots license, it doesn't expire.

to fly light sport, you need your pilots license, even from many years ago, i believe your number is your social security number if you need a new copy. you then can fly light sport with a drivers license in lieu of a 3rd class medical as long as you weren't denied a medical certificate.
oceans

PPL or SPL

Post by oceans »

Thank you, I'm glad to hear that, I haven't looked to any of that but it sounds like a better way. I just didn't see the point in renewing a medical for a plane I'm never going to rent.

Thanks
Ken
Ken
><)))'>