1st Takeoff

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

SoaringSeth

1st Takeoff

Post by SoaringSeth »

I had my 2nd flight today. I was able to takeoff for the 1st time today. I had two attempts. The 1st attempt I got her off the ground but my nose was too high so the instructor took over. I was able to do it fine by myself the 2nd time.

I left the airport thinking: Wow I actually got a plane off the ground. It was a nice feeling. :)
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Seth, thanks for posting your experience. I saved your blog in my Favorites so I can read about your progress. It'll help me as I progress too.
Yeah taxiing is tricky. Takeoffs are a lot of fun! Get centered on the runway, shove that throttle in and haul a** down that runway, then up you go! When taking off, if you have the plane trimmed for takeoff it will fly at the best angle once you lift off the ground.
When I begin a take off I say to myself "feet on the floor!" so I don't use the brakes by mistake. As soon as the nosewheel leaves the ground remember to apply more right rudder.
I think one of the thngs that is fascinating about takeoffs is, they are the closest experience to the dreams we have about flying, where in the dream we simply lift off the ground like a bird.