I passed!

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

MikeM

I passed!

Post by MikeM »

I passed my checkride on Tuesday. I won't say that I did a perfect job, but I guess I did good enough. So now I'm a full-fledged Light Sport Aircraft FAA-approved pilot. Just in time for good weather and all those fly-in breakfasts 8) .
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Well done Mr. PIC!

When you've come back down to earth :smile:, tell us about your checkride. Lots to learn from all you've accomplished!

Congratulations sir!

Tom
SkySteve

Post by SkySteve »

Hey, Mike.
Congrats!!! Now you can leave the earth and return, at will. You are part of a prestigious few, welcome. Tell us about the check ride.
Steve Wilson
Huntsville, UT
Kitfox
Convertible Nose Wheel & Tail Wheel
912A / Warp Drive Prop
Jeff Tipton

Post by Jeff Tipton »

Welcome to the order of the aviator. The fun is just beginning.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Congratulations! The fun has just begun!
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

The checkride wasn't as bad as my expectations led me to believe it would be. Still, I was nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. As we preflighted the airplane (Flight Design CTSW) I pointed out a few of the features. I told the examiner when he got into the airplane not to use the silver handle as a hand hold since that's how the wings are bolted on. Of course he reached for the handle as we were getting in :D .

I performed a short-field takeoff and circled around for a landing. He told me to execute a missed approach and climb out and take a heading for the cross-country I had planned. After he decided that I wasn't lost we did a couple of steep turns and a stall and then descended to do some ground reference maneuvers. The weather in central Ohio was beautiful, winds from 220 at 6-8 knots and not a cloud in the sky. Of course that led to thermal activity so my inability to hold altitude was covered up by the bumpy ride.

We returned to the airport and entered the pattern. When we were even with the numbers he told me to pull back the power and act like we had lost the engine. What would I do to make the runway? Pretty much fly a standard pattern because that's how I land the CT anyway :wink: .

The only problem came when we were about 40 feet above the runway. The wind was about 200 at 6-8 knots and the runway we were using was 240. Paralleling the runway on the left side is a woods. The wind blows over the woods and causes a lot of turbulence over the runway. The wind caught the left wing and lifted it, catching the examiner by surprise. My brother learned to fly at that airport in a Piper Tomahawk and he told me the wind did funny things there, so I was ready for it. I recovered and made a good landing (at least by my meager standards).

After we parked we went into the examiners office. He shook my hand, told me I had passed and I was now I pilot. We finished up the paperwork and then he told me it was time for the hard part- writing him a check. I assured him that was the easiest part of the whole check ride.

During the flight back to my home field, a whole 21 nm away, my heart beat slowly returned to normal. The worst part was that when I got back to my home field there was no one there to witness my stunning series of snap-rolls down the runway folowed by a loop and a dead-stick landing. Just kidding. Now I have a bunch of people to give rides to, starting with my brother.
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Mike - that is excellent. Thanks for the description. You must have a massive grin on your face.

By the way, never think you've made a bad landing if you can walk away from it. Take a look at this; even the "big guys" have their moments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mMLvNxHyuM

I believe the correct terminology for that is PIO - Pilot Induced Oscillations.

Again, congratulations to you!
Tom