Almost there

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

MikeM

Almost there

Post by MikeM »

I was scheduled for my sport pilot checkride today, but the weather didn't cooperate (as usual :D ). Winds gusting to 30 knots are a little too much for a light sport airplane. I called my examiner and he agreed that the winds were too strong for flying, so he suggested that we meet and go over all the paperwork and get the oral portion of the checkride out of the way.

I was a little apprehensive as I didn't know what material the oral portion of the test would cover. It turned out to less of a test and more of a discussion of all the topics. I learned a few things and he said he did too as this will be his first checkride in a Flight Design CTSW.

So now that part of the checkride is out of the way and all we need is good weather so that we can get the flight portion of the test completed. Hopefully next week sometime the weather will moderate and we'll be able to get it taken care of.

Hi Brian!
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Mike - I've heard that about many oral exams. Once the examiner gets the feeling you know what you're talking about, it turns into a discussion and "picking each other's brain".

And one less thing to worry about when checkride comes up.

Did you have any surprises or "set backs" in your lessons? How many hours do you have logged?

Fly safe!
Tom
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Tom- I think having my checkride split into two sessions worked to my advantage. I've gotten over any jitters I had, and I'm also more familiar with my examiner, so I think I will do a better job with the flying portion of the test.

Right now I have 33.2 total hours with 9.4 of that solo. I really haven't had any setbacks in my training, except for two truly bad landing attempts, both in front of witnesses :oops: . I'm glad the CT has strong landing gear, I've bounced less than that on a trampoline.

I might have been ready for my checkride with less hours, but I never felt any reason to rush through the training. Also, training this time of year means a lot of weather-related cancellations so some of my dual was spent making sure I had retained abilities from previous lessons. I will be my instructor's first sport pilot student to get a license, so it is a learning experience for them too.
AndyJ

Post by AndyJ »

Congrats on passing the oral! Who is your examiner?
Remember-for the checkride you as PIC should decide if you don't like the weather; the examiner can't give you leeway on PTS standards due to turbulence, so if you don't like it, reschedule.
scottj

Post by scottj »

Just a thought...if your examiner has never been in a Flight Design CT before, your checkride is not the best time for a Discovery Flight. You may want to have your CFI take him up first so he gets used to the airplane. As you know, the CT comes down on final at a steeper approach than a Cessna, and the flare is more to fly flat than an actual flare upon landing. Good luck, sounds like you will pass based upon your oral and ADM skills in already canceling once. That is a good thing to do.
Flight training begins on the ground, not in the air.℠
2011 FAASTeam Representative of the Year, Great Lakes Region
http://www.SticknRudder.com
Jeff Tipton

Post by Jeff Tipton »

Actually the examiner not having flown the CT could be an advantage. I would not be surprised if the examiner asks if he could fly it some.

And on the bad landings, don't be hung up on them to much. Even 10,000 hour pilots make bad landings occasionally.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

My examiner is Brad Newman at Tiffin, Ohio (16G). He has been instructing for quite a while. I won't be his first light sport checkride. He has given a check ride in a Cub and an Ercoupe that I know of. Tiffin Aire also offers tailwheel endorsements and spin training in a Champ.