Frustrated

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

SoaringSeth

Frustrated

Post by SoaringSeth »

I set up an appointment tonight at 6 to train. I arrived at 5:45 and was told to wait, that the instructor would be there shortly. I waited until 6:30 and went to the desk. They said he was there and getting the plane ready. I went back up around 7:00 and asked if I need to fill out any paperwork while he got the plane ready. Someone took me to the hanger where the instructor was inspecting the plane. He said that he couldn't take me up because he needed to get more solo time in the plane before he could train someone. It seems like there was some sort of miscommunication. I am a bit frustrated at having to wait for an hour to be told that he couldn't train me. I understand that mistakes happen but I really would like to start training as soon as possible.
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Good grief. Seth, sure sounds like you're discovering the "flight school games" fast! We talked earlier about checking out Dayton Flying Club. I think it's time you do ...

How the heck can your "school" get you interested in lessons, sell you the "student kit" and $300 headset, book your flights ... and then your instructor says he isn't qualified to teach you (in that plane) yet ???

Does that flight school actually care what's going on? Maybe you just found another reason they cancelled that first flight "due to instrument problems".

Man - that is totally ridiculous. There are some really good flight schools and instructors out there - but I don't think you found one.

Anyone else want to comment on what Seth's going through? I'd get up on my soapbox again about my own past experiences, but I don't think anyone wants to go through that again! :smile:

Seth - check out Dayton Flying Club. Walk over there, tell them what's happened to you so far, and ask how they can help you become a pilot. Don't wait for email (a *lot* of email from strangers gets automatically labeled as junk anyway).

C'mon guys - could we slow down the "check out my shiny new airplane" posts a bit and actually help guys who want to become new sport pilots?

yeesh

Tom
SoaringSeth

Spoke with the head trainer

Post by SoaringSeth »

I spoke to the head trainer who said that the instructor had recently had is check off ride for that aircraft and was able to train but wanted to take it out by himself before training. The instructor is supposed to call me.

I may go out to another airport who is willing to train me in the 172 up until my solo time and then work out something to get me trained in a LSA.

I am not sure which is better? Does anyone think it will be ok to train on a 172 and then switch to an LSA for my solo flights? Should I try to train on the same aircraft in which I'll be soloing in?

Thanks!
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

I think you will end up spending less time and money to get your license if you stick with training in the LSA. This is from personal experience. That said, flying in a different plane will help you grow as a pilot and appreciate how planes can handle differently, so it could be an enriching experience. Personally, I'd give the SP school a little slack, but they would have to go a ways to completely earn my trust.

Finally don't forget that your instructor may be an independent contractor to the school. Be glad that he won't train you until he is completely comfortable in the plane, regardless of what the school says.

Ron
SoaringSeth

Thanks for the info

Post by SoaringSeth »

The instructor called and apologized. We set up a time next week. So hopefully it will all work out.
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Not sure I'd want to take lessons - or even go up in the air - with someone who just recently learned to fly that plane.

And from a school that bungled up the job of getting you started without checking that the instructor could handle it.

Remember - it's *you* that's the important factor in all this. You want the best instruction possible. Maybe take that first lesson now that he's contacted you, but keep your choices open.

Still think you should at least talk to Dayton Flying Club.

Tom
SoaringSeth

dayton pilots club

Post by SoaringSeth »

I talked to the dayton pilots club and they only offer membership and lessons to those who are working towards their private pilot. They have an LSA but you have to have be a private pilot in order to use the LSA and be a member. Seems sort of odd. Hopefully they will change their membership policy soon.

I met with the lead instructor of another school. He offered to train me on the 172 until I went solo but said I would have to find someone else to let me fly on an LSA after that.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

the fact that the school wasn't honest with you is a big negative.

the fact that the instructor dragged his feet till he's ready is a positive.

the fact that at least the instructor was honest with you and called you back to explain is a positive.

if the SLSA is new to the instructor and he needs a little time, that is ok.

if you can deal directly with the instructor, and he is completely honest, it might be worth it.

when you are kept in the dark it is hard to have faith