No Go Today

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

SoaringSeth

No Go Today

Post by SoaringSeth »

I was all excited to take my first flight today and I got a call 20 minutes out canceling the training. There was a instrument malfunction. So they are going to call me Monday night to tell me how long the SportsStar will be out of commission.
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Seth - sorry you didn't get any flight time logged in your logbook!

Question for you: if they cancelled your first flight because of an instrument failure in the SportStar, why didn't they just use a different plane?

You can get all your pre-solo dual sport pilot instruction in just about any small plane. Doesn't have to be a light sport plane. So they could have easily just substituted another plane for you. Sure hope you're not getting caught up in the "plane is unavailable" game.

Aviation Sales has six other planes beside the SportStar - three 172's at $115/hr, and three 152's at $80/hr. Were they all booked up too?

What's the hourly rental for that SportStar?

Hang in there.
Tom
SoaringSeth

Thanks

Post by SoaringSeth »

I didn't know that you could train on a different type airplane. I thought you had to train on a LSA. Interesting. Thanks for the info. I'll ask him when he calls on Monday. Perhaps they were all booked up as well. It was the first nice weather day in awhile.
The Sports Star is $99 an hour for pay as you go. ($90 if you buy a block of time) I haven't bought any time yet so if this keeps up, I can always check other flight training places out in the area. All I have purchased so far is the Gleim Sports Pilot package and the headset. I am sure, I can use all of this stuff with any program.
ka7eej

Post by ka7eej »

Seth, CT Flyer is correct, he almost always is... You can train in any of their airplanes to begin with. There is nothing at this point that says you are training to be a sports pilot or an airline pilot. It is not until the solo portion that the specific type of airplane starts to make a difference. I would , however take MOST of my training in a LSA because of the different type of handling most LSA's have vs say a 172.. The main thing is to get up in the air and keep flying.. Have fun!!!
Brian
Owner of N3081X (Cover Girl) A Beautiful Allegro 2000 as seen on the cover and inside of several magazines!!
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Seth - what's the news? Did you get any info from them on why they cancelled your first flight but didn't substitute another plane for you?

When do you get up in the air? And what did you finally decide on insurance?

Hope all is well.

Tom
SoaringSeth

Flying on Thursday

Post by SoaringSeth »

They plane was fixed today..... There was a radio problem. So, if the weather holds then I will fly on Thursday.
SoaringSeth

May not get to go again today

Post by SoaringSeth »

the weather doesnt look too good right now so I may have to hold off again. :(
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Ain't weather fun! Just wait 'til after you've passed your checkride and it'll seem like every day is bad weather. :smile:

Seth - have you talked to Dayton Pilots Club? They also offer lessons, and have a sport pilot qualified plane for $53/hr, plus $80/mo dues. Might be something to think about - or at least make contact and see what they can offer.

Tom
SoaringSeth

Dayton Pilots Club

Post by SoaringSeth »

I emailed a couple of people from the Dayton's Pilot Club asking about their club and if they had any information on the training school I am attending. I never heard back from them. It seems hard to get information from folks around here.

It looks like they are located in the same airport I am training out of. I may have to see if they have an office and stop by when I am there or just give them a call.