Continuing training.....moving on to complete PP

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

cavscout96

Continuing training.....moving on to complete PP

Post by cavscout96 »

OK guys,

I'm considering purchasing an LSA with a partner. He'll use it to do SP, and I intend to use it to continue work toward my PP.

I know PP requires night and unusual attitude / basic instrument.

My question is what specifically should I make sure the S_SLA is equipped with in order to do ALL of my PP training.

- AI ?
- Lights?
- Heading indicator? (or can I use the wet compass)?

the FAA PP test administration PDF doesn't really go into the detail I'm loking for.

Thanks in advance

Bill
Jeff Tipton

Post by Jeff Tipton »

The only additional equipment for night flying would be the navigation lights, panel lights and don't forget the anti-collision lights. Gyroscopic instruments used to be required for night time but not at this time. If the aircraft had something like the Dynon setup it would be overkill for the sport pilot and make the private pilot requirements easier.

An alternative would be to install a turn coordinator and learn needle ball and airspeed for the unusual attitude requirements, but that would take a lot of practice.

Other than the unusual attitude work, the private pilot check ride could be taken in a J-3 Cub.

Hope this helps.
cavscout96

Post by cavscout96 »

Thanks Jeff!!

That's kinda what I was thinking. I asked teh same ? over in teh "examiner" section, and was cautioned to examine the manufacturers POH and component (engine)operating limitations as well as some have specifically prohibited night flying in accordance with SP limitations.

Thanks !!
ka7eej

Post by ka7eej »

Be a little careful and read the fine print in the Airplane POH. My Allegro 2000 has all the required lighting, Dynon D100, however it has a Rotax 912uls that prohibits nighttime flying and the POH prohibits nighttime flying. I believe that if you are flying an airplane that is a SLSA you must abide by the POH of that plane regardless of your rating??? Any else have comments on this?
Owner of N3081X (Cover Girl) A Beautiful Allegro 2000 as seen on the cover and inside of several magazines!!
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

ka7eej wrote:Be a little careful and read the fine print in the Airplane POH. My Allegro 2000 has all the required lighting, Dynon D100, however it has a Rotax 912uls that prohibits nighttime flying and the POH prohibits nighttime flying. I believe that if you are flying an airplane that is a SLSA you must abide by the POH of that plane regardless of your rating??? Any else have comments on this?
you are correct about the poh, the rotax restriction against night flying has been removed.
nosehair

Post by nosehair »

Jeff Tipton wrote:
An alternative would be to install a turn coordinator and learn needle ball and airspeed for the unusual attitude requirements, but that would take a lot of practice.
You need at least 3 hours hood time anyway, and 3 hours of 'needle-ball&airspeed' is much better unusual attitude training anyway. The attitude indicator tends to go haywire in unusual attitudes anyway. It is much better to have primary training on the basic instruments, which is 'needle-ball&airspeed'.
wickedsprint

Post by wickedsprint »

Guys, if I recall from the FAR?AIM, you can get a PPL with NO night flying, but you'll be restricted to a daylight rated PPL, or you can simply rent a plain jane 152 for all of your night events, it doesn't have to be an airplane you're used to flying, ie: you can simply rent a 152 to fill the check in the box for the night X country and 10 night landings etc and there is no solo requirement for night flights as a student pilot..so you don't need to be checked out on it or all that familiar with said airplane to satisfy the letter of the law etc.

I did my night flights in a Mooney M20, a Piper Warrior and a G1000 172, all of which I was not authorized to solo in or obviously take a checkride with. Granted, if I desire some night flying it would behoove me to take a CFI up to get more comfortable with it again..but legally I can rent a 172 and take it up at night right now..even though I have not flown my checkride airplane at night.

So if your LSA is not kosher for night but you want a PPL, get a daylight PPL or get a diff rental airplane for your night portions.

Disclaimer: Check your FAR/AIM for information but obviously your CFI if worth any salt will be able to corroborate what I have told you.
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

There are actual IFR certified LSA's. This would let you continue your training toward an instrument rating if desired. The only one I've actually seen is the AMD Zodiac XLi - $99000. http://newplane.com. It has a Continental 0200 engine. I believe there are others IFR SLAs , but have no personal knowledge. Of course full IFR isn't needed for PPL , but it would sure be nice to have.

Disclaimer - I'm kit building a version of this plane and like the company, but I've never piloted one.

Ron
Jeff Tipton

Post by Jeff Tipton »

For IFR flight training the aircraft does not have to be IFR certified or even for the check ride. As with IFR training you would be in VFR conditions under the hood.