Home Study Course for Sport Pilot Training

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

jartz

Home Study Course for Sport Pilot Training

Post by jartz »

Hello All,

I’m preparing for Sport Pilot training, and wondering what home study course you would recommend.

ASA (Aviation Supplies and Academics)?

Gleim?

King (no Mac version; I can use the PC, but the Mac is better for me)?

Sporty’s Pilot Shop (doesn’t seem to have a sport pilot course, just private pilot)?

I’d appreciate hearing your thoughts, what worked for you, etc. Or they all about the same?

Thanks for your help.

John
flyboy2007

Post by flyboy2007 »

I used the gleim course and passed my written after about 1 week of study. Worked good for me.
"Keep on Draggin"
scottj

Training Materials

Post by scottj »

We are using the Gleim Sport Pilot textbook(s) "kit" $ 149 in our flight school. As an instructor, I like the low cost, and, the texts are written in an easy to follow manner.

I used the King DVD set for my personal CFI training. It was good. It was funny how the videos are spliced together from a decade of other training videos...Martha's hair changed quite a few times on differant topics. :-)

I would get the Private kit if I were you, if looking for a DVD plan. The information is almost the same for a Sport Pilot, in the end it is needed anyway.

I have not reviewed the video DVD kits from ASA or Sportys. But I assume they are as competent as the King.

What does your CFI and Flight School use? I would buy what they are selling because ultimately you need your CFI to explain the parts you dont understand. I hate it when a student brings in a text book that I am not familiar with because then I have to figure it out first myself...and then explain to him...usually without getting paid.
Flight training begins on the ground, not in the air.℠
2011 FAASTeam Representative of the Year, Great Lakes Region
http://www.SticknRudder.com
SkySteve

Post by SkySteve »

I used King School's. Loved the videos. I took my written after one weekend watching the videos.
Steve Wilson
Huntsville, UT
Kitfox
Convertible Nose Wheel & Tail Wheel
912A / Warp Drive Prop
leagle

Post by leagle »

I used King videos as well. Very good interactive learning - 93 on the test.
Jeff Tipton

Post by Jeff Tipton »

If you Gleim's CD course or their online school for home study, and not using an instructor, remember the course will you give you a letter of authorization after you have answered all the questions correctly at least once.

The problem is, the letter will be for either a private or sport depending on the course. If you studied sport it is not good for the private, and if you studied the private I don't think they will allow you to test for the sport written.
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

The easiest, simplest and best value to pass the sport pilot written knowledge test is to use the ASA Sport Pilot Test prep Book and/or Sport pilot Prepware CD (Prepware provides the endorsement for the FAA written exam). I helped wrote the ASA sport pilot knowledge test preps specificly for the sport pilot exam, so call me personally if you want advice or details. It should be noted that the sport pilot knowledge test prep is very easy compared to the private, about 70 percent easier. The greater challenge is the checkride, which I have also written a book and produced a DVD. Best values check it out at http://www.ap-store.com/hftssptpk1.html
Spend your hard money learning how to fly safely and passing the checkride rather than expensive FAA test prep.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

Paul, I've been using the Test Prep CD for months, but haven't gotten around to taking the test. Is there a new one out for 2008 that's different from the 2007 version? I'm wondering if I should upgrade before the test.

I agree, the SP is much easier than the private. But I'm glad I've done both, there is lot of useful information in a private pilot course. Any one who is using this software to gain knowledge rather than to just pass the test could certainly benefit by getting the ASA private pilot course also. I think the ASA courses are the best deal in flight training.

Ron
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

rsteele wrote:Paul, I've been using the Test Prep CD for months, but haven't gotten around to taking the test. Is there a new one out for 2008 that's different from the 2007 version? I'm wondering if I should upgrade before the test.
For the sport pilot knowledge test, they added a few questions on altitude but nothing major. Just download the book updates at
http://www.asa2fly.com/Test-Updates---F ... egory.aspx

and you will do great. Over the years I have been working on this system I have not heard of any one who did not pass the test after using the ASA Prepware CD. My advice is to get a 90 with the Prepware and you are sure to pass.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
DPBOHCPA

Test prep vs all you really need o know

Post by DPBOHCPA »

I've always been a fan of the Gleim "red books" studied those for a week or so and passed with 100%.

However, just realize that there is a big difference between just passing the written and learning everything you really need to absorb and comprehend to be a safe pilot.

There's a lot of knowledge that you can get that is required above and beyond the written test requirements, but having said that, a $15 gleim test prep book is all one really needs to pass the tests or a CD test prep if you learn better using the computer, but you don't really need all the other stuff to pass the exam.

Most of the other items are included in the sport pilot training packages to get you up to speed on the rest of the needed knowledge.
Thanks!

Doug

"The only thing cars are good for is to get you to where they keep the airplanes!"
EppyGA

Post by EppyGA »

I purchased the King Sport Pilot course and went through the materials several times and was ready to take the test.

I then made a decision to pursue a PPL and have purchased the ASA prep book. I am using it in conjunction with some of the many websites that have practice exams to prepare for the test.

I will say the ASA book is well written and has good explanations. Now I just need to make sure I can take the test before October :lol:
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

Also for those who want the DVD's you watch for the Private ASA has a great value DVD ground school course with the book see:

http://www.ap-store.com/asavtppvt.html

this along with the Prepware CD to practice and get the CFI endorsement
http://www.ap-store.com/asatwpvt.html

provides the best value for the Knowledge test.

Any one of the King, Gleim, or ASA products will have you pass the knowledge test if used just like any airplane will get you from point to point.