No local SP instruction, Plan B

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Brohawk

No local SP instruction, Plan B

Post by Brohawk »

So far I haven't found a local source for Sport Pilot instruction. The closest ones found in the EAA listing are approx. 100 miles away, too far for commuting.

The Plan:

As a Student Pilot, I should be able to take instruction in 152/172 aircraft, as I understand the rules. The point at which an LSA is required is the check ride for the SP certificate.

Using the Sport Pilot syllabus as a guide, an instructor should be able to cover the necessary topics.

When I'm ready for a check ride, I could then contact one of the Sport Pilot training centers and take a few days to get checked out in one of their airplanes, then do the check ride.

As I posted in another thread, it's kind of ironic that as a Student I could fly a 172, but after getting my SP license I'd be restricted to smaller airplanes. Like they say in Kuwait, "Oil well!" It is what it is...

Anyway, how does this Plan sound to you experienced, knowledgable folks? It's all I can think of for working around the lack of LSAs for instruction in the local area.

BTW, yesterday I flew with a friend in his 172. I had the controls for about 45 minutes! I am getting soooooo cranked up about starting lessons.
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Sounds like a good plan to me. It's basically what I did myself! I did all my pre-solo work in a 152. Unfortunately I'd need a "real" Light Sport Aircraft for Sport Pilot solo and checkride, and they don't exist around unless I buy one (which I can't afford).

One thing - I'm 99% sure you'll need a medical certificate if you're going to solo in a non-LSA. You can take all your instruction *except* solo and beyond in a 152/172, but you can't do a sport pilot solo in a 152/172.

Also, be sure your cfi doesn't have any "problems" with you working toward sport pilot. Several I talked with said they wouldn't teach sport pilots - altho' I think it's because they didn't have a clue what "sport pilot" really means.

go for it!

Tom
Brohawk

Post by Brohawk »

I'll have to check on the LSA for solo work. If it is required that solo be done in an LSA, that means...

Plan C!

I could do all of my dual locally in a standard category airplane, then possibly a couple of 2 or 3 day sessions for the LSA work.

I'll just have to add motel costs into my budget. It's always something....

After all, we can't make this easy, can we?
SP_Laser

Post by SP_Laser »

There are some schools that do the rapid sport pilot training. I think there is one in Florida and St. Charles, MO. You go for two weeks and most of the time complete the entire thing.
________
Honda CBF500 specifications
Last edited by SP_Laser on Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

"You go for two weeks and most of the time complete the entire thing."

Ah - therein lies the rub! You have to have an LSA to fly when you get back home!

T.
Brohawk

Post by Brohawk »

I saw one at Lockwood in Sebring. Of course, it's contingent on the WX cooperating. Crappy weather means a wasted trip.

My Big Plan (of which Plans A, B, and C are preliminary steps 8) ) is to get the license out of the way then start a homebuilding project. A factory-built LSA is out of reach for the Treasury Department. :cry:

If somebody starts renting LSAs locally I can get an hour here & there in the meantime. I also can snag a ride with a friend once in a while for some informal stick time until I get my own project in the air.

I'm learning patience, but I wish things would go faster...
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

some of us got to sport pilot via private pilot.

it isn't unusual for a sport pilot student to require 40 hours of dual.

with this path you have a one time medical requirement and you are set to train and rent whatever for 2 years. also night flying, hood time, towered airspace etc will be included in your training.

some lsa's are so capable that the additional skills come into play.

if you are not going to travel, private pilot may likely be the low hassle even low cost route.

personally i would take a vacation in florida and if i got the training all the better, can't loose.
Helen

Post by Helen »

Are you doing SP because of the medical? If so, you aren't going to be able to solo a non-sport plane. You need a medical to be acting PIC of a 152/172. You have no more privileges as a student Sport Pilot than you would as a sport pilot.

If the medical is not an issue for you, I'd encourage you to go straight for private. You are most likely going to have the same number of flight hours doing private on the same plane as trying to do Sport Pilot while transitioning between two planes so you won't be saving time or money, just limiting your privileges.

Helen
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Helen Woods
Chesapeake Sport Pilot
Quality Flight Training, Rentals, and Service
Factory Authorized RV-12 Training and Service Center
http://www.chesapeakesportpilot.com
SP_Laser

Post by SP_Laser »

Helen wrote:
If the medical is not an issue for you, I'd encourage you to go straight for private. You are most likely going to have the same number of flight hours doing private on the same plane as trying to do Sport Pilot while transitioning between two planes so you won't be saving time or money, just limiting your privileges.

Helen
I would have to disagree. With the new sport planes like the "Sport Cruiser" you could go all the way to private in that plane, it's a fully functional aircraft that is in everyway superior to the Cessna 152. (range speed climb useful load...etc, and it runs on autogas) 15 hours Dual and 5 hours solo and you're done. If you run out of money or time, you still have something. You can always go on to private. Some of these new planes even have glass cockpits.
________
Nash Motors history