Books??

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Flying freak

Books??

Post by Flying freak »

First off id liketo say hi to everyone as this is my first post on this forum.

I a looking at maybe starting to work towards my privates license in the spring and would like to know if there are any good books that you would recomend (mostly ground school stuff).

A am young at 15 but have some backround in aircraft as i have been flying RC for a while now (note; im talking about internal combustion rc aircraft that have a higher power to wight ratio and can hit upwards of 130 mph , not the walmart style :) )

So any suggestions?

Steven
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

There is a lot of free material online. The "Airplane Flying Handbook" and the "Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge" are available as PDF or you can get them in most larger bookstores. Both are approachable and easy reads and are straight from the horse's (FAA's) mouth.

You should also get an AIM/FAR. (also online and in bookstores) This is the code of regulations that govern how you get a license, and how to keep it/lose it. It's more of a reference, but when you take practice tests, it's good to be able to look up the sources for answers.

Any book by Rob Machado. Very readable stuff. You will pick up knowledge without even trying.

Congratulations on hitting the books first. Apparently (I'm still a student myself, not a CFI) there are a lot of students who start off not understanding how important the "book learning" is.

Good luck.
Ron
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

Stick and Rudder : An Explanation of the Art ...

by Wolfgang LANGEWIESCHE - 1972 - 412 pages
Flying freak

Post by Flying freak »

I have a stupid Q on full scale aircraft is steering (ground) contorled by the rudder? like is it hooked up to the rudder controle?
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

depends,

some cobination of

steerable nose wheel - operated by rudder pedals
differential braking - toe brakes - operated by toes of rudder pedals
rudder

rudder needs some speed or a prop blast to become effective.
Flying freak

Post by Flying freak »

I am well awar that airspeed is needed for the rudder to work its one thing that makes a model (tail dragger) intresting to take is you go between a period where the tail is up (so the wheel is off the ground) yet not enough air passing by the rudder to make it effeint. this creats an intresting balance of pulling up elevator to push the tail down but being carful to to input so much as to take off (there by causing a stall). Of course you only ahve to worry about most of this in the underpowered models...