Sport Pilot Training

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

ruderiot

Sport Pilot Training

Post by ruderiot »

Hello Guys and Gals, glad this site is back up, I've gotten 14.2 hours in training in a 172 and found out my instructor took a job with Cirrus and has gone from KRUQ in Statesboro, Ga. to White Plains New York to train people to fly the Cirrus. What I had left with him was a dual crosscountry prior to solo but can't solo the 172 without a third class medical, so I left that FBO and trying to get training in Salisbury N.C. which to my shock didn't have any planes for training, so now I'm waiting for a trainer. Statesboro was a 3 hour round trip and Salisbury will be 7 hours round trip, I told my instructor I would stay a week to get my training in so maybe it will work like I have planned but we'll see.
________
Dilaudid Rehab Forums
Last edited by ruderiot on Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
flynful

Trainig

Post by flynful »

Why not buy a 152 in good condition and sell it once you have your license. You should get as much for it as you paid.

I bought a Cherokee PA28 140/160 (after I took a demo ride in a 152) and it took me more than 100 hours to get my PPL. That was my plan, and it saved me quite a bit of money. Best of all, I trained in t

he same plane from lesson to lesson, but now I'm not so sure I want to sell. It should be easier to get a CFI at your local airport if you already have the plane.

Good luck.

Steve G
Voorhees, NJ
Steve G (the flynful)
lgoodman1ATcomcast.net
sgoodmanATweirpartners.com
eurofoxjames

Re: Sport Pilot Training

Post by eurofoxjames »

ruderiot wrote: has gone from KRUQ in Statesboro, Ga. .
I went to school in Statesboro and got my PPL there. At that time is was KTBR....has it changed?

Thanks
James
EuroFox N617B
ruderiot

Sport Pilot Training

Post by ruderiot »

No Euro you are correct, KRUQ is in Salisbury where I intend on finishing my training. Jim Chaney was my instructor at KTBR and has moved on to Cirrus. I guess all CFI's base out of an FBO until they get a better job offering and move on. Now it's just wait and hope.
There is a FBO 40 miles from home that just purchased an Aeronica Chief for Sport Pilot training and with me at 255 and the CFI a little pugy I don't know what kind of fuel load there would be and it being a tail dragger I guess I could get my endorsement , so I don't know.
________
ULTIMATE FIGHTERS
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Ken - it takes 30 minutes to get a 3rd class medical exam. Your local FBOs have lists of the examiners (doctors), or you can find one here:

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/amelocator/

If you *can't* get a medical certificate, you'll have to stay with sport pilot instruction once you get to soloing. If that's the case, then buy yourself a LSA - there are 1000s for sale all over the country. From power parachute to trike to ultralight to two-seater cabin aircraft, they're out there if you have the money.

As I posted long before the hack attack, sport pilot and LSA were never intended by FAA and EAA to produce more pilots; it was intended to get ultralight pilots under FAA control.

Tom
ruderiot

Sport pilot training

Post by ruderiot »

Thanks to all who have responded, I recieved a call from KRUQ and will continue my training in mid-November. After this is all finished I believe I will go for endorsements for towered airports.
CT I have had past issues with health and believe it will be best to get the SP ticket and then go to a pre-arranged medical to re-do some test FAA says will be required for the PP ticket, really did not want to be put down before I got up. I really hope I am doing all this in the proper order.
Thanks all Ken
________
Girlfriends pics
rab23us

Re: Sport pilot training

Post by rab23us »

ruderiot wrote:Thanks to all who have responded, I recieved a call from KRUQ and will continue my training in mid-November. After this is all finished I believe I will go for endorsements for towered airports.
CT I have had past issues with health and believe it will be best to get the SP ticket and then go to a pre-arranged medical to re-do some test FAA says will be required for the PP ticket, really did not want to be put down before I got up. I really hope I am doing all this in the proper order.
Thanks all Ken
The bold is where I am going Ken....

I would be very very very careful Ken....If you get denied a medical then you would need to get a waiver to even maintain your SP ticket (If I have read the regulations correctly) which you worked very hard to attain. If you know you can fly safely and you don't plan on going for intstruments or night flying...no reason to go PPL.

And please don't take this the wrong way make sure all your issues with health are taken care of before going into the sky even under SP.
Ron B.
Midwest USA
Home Airport KDEC
tlide

Post by tlide »

I feel your pain. I have been driving 150 miles one way on weekends to get training in a CT. I have been at it for close to a year now. I have soloed and done the dual cross country but need to do it solo. There have been two months out of all this that I have not been able to fly. The CT was down for one month due to work being done on the plane. This last time has been due to insurance issues. I'm not sure what the problem is with the insurance but it really is frustrating to be so close to being finished and not being able to fly.

Tracy