lessons?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

CTflyer

lessons?

Post by CTflyer »

How's about a few posts on how your sport pilot lessons are going.

What are you covering, and what are some of the "plateaus" you're hitting?

I thought it might be helpful to folks just going into sport pilot training to hear how other people's lessons are moving along - what did you do in your first lesson, second lesson, what was covered, etc. Where are you now in working toward solo?

We seem to have a quickly growing number of posts about planes, but not many posts from students taking lessons.

Let's have some Sport Pilot Talk!

Tom
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

earth to students - earth to students

Anyone taking sport pilot lessons? How's it going?

Tom
Rev. Ken

Post by Rev. Ken »

HI All, I haven't started yet but i didn't want Ct Flyer to be alone here.
I'm gonna try to get started before the first of the year, I might need ot get a job by then and that would get in the way of learning to fly
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

I just had my introductory flight at Chesapeake Sport Pilot this evening. I flew their Tecnam Super Echo. I have about 15 hours in my CFI friend's C182. The Tecnam is a LOT easier to fly. It's also far quieter and the visibility is just outstanding. I'm really excited to get back in the air. It's been since July since I've flown. I feel like use Flight Sim every now and then help keep my skills a little fresher.

It was a perfect evening for flying over the Maryland Eastern Shore, like something out of an ad. Clear sky, light wind, smooth air. Sun at a low angle. A patchwork of trees, fields and fingers of the Chesapeake bay spreading out below.

It's just a pain that it's a two hour drive to get to the airport - worth it though.

Ron
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Ron - congrats on getting back up in the air. Sorry 'bout the two hour drive to get to lessons, but at least you can get to them! And you're really lucky to have a friend who's also a CFI, believe me.

You mentioned the 182. That's a *big* and complex plane compared to LSA. Were you actually training toward soloing in the 182? All your logged hours may count toward your sport pilot certificate.

Flying low and slow over the Bay and shore must be a dream. What a great place to take lessons.

Does Chesapeake Sport Pilot have you following a written training plan?

How do you handle insurance coverage (hull and liability) as a student?

Sorry for all the questions - it's tough to find sport pilot students to get details from.

Thanks.
Tom
PS - everyone: check out the CFIs where Ron is taking lessons. Talk about experience - that is EXCELLENT! Ron, you've found a goldmine there.

http://chesapeakesportpilot.com/instructors.htm
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

Regarding the 182, I never planned to solo in it. Like many plane owners, my friend is always looking for an excuse to fly, and lucky for me lessons were a good excuse. The 182 is a complex, high performance plane, but he took care of things like cowl flaps and propeller setting while I was flying. Its funny how the descriptions of such things sound so trivial, but when you add that to the work load when you are just learning, it would be overwhelming.

There is a Chesapeake Sport Pilot person in this forum (owner maybe?) who could probably answer questions better than me. You do require your own insurance, which I'll have to get ASAP. For ground school they use Rod Machado(sp) books which look excellent.
I just glanced through them quickly and I noticed a couple of good explanations of things I know I'm weak on.

The biggest differences in from going from the 182 to the Super Echo are increased visibility and the speed at which things happen - landing speed is much slower in the Super Echo and the visibility makes judging height much easier. They actually handle very similarly. I do like the stick vs the yoke though.

Finally, I really enjoyed flying with my instructor, Tom McKnight. Unfortunately since he is about 200lbs and I'm about 300, we were right at the GW of the Super Echo, so my permanent instructor will have to be someone a bit smaller so we don't have to take off with 1/4 full tanks. The SE did fine at this weight, BTW. Anybody looking for a great trainer need look no farther than the SE.

Ron
tadel001

Post by tadel001 »

Thanks for the compliments. CSP was built with fun grass roots flying in mind. We did not want instructors that had little experience and were more interested in building hours. Our staff is a big part of our success.

We offer insurance for all the aircraft and professional liability insurance for our instructors. Like almost all flights school insurance, our policy does not cover the student's negligence. You can get a non-owned policy for a few hundred dollars a year.

We have developed our own sport pilot syllabus designed after the Rod Machado private pilot book, the Gliem Syllabus and our own instructors' input. There are not any good syllabus out there just for Sport Pilots. Rod is developing a book just for Sport Pilots and we are working with him to provide input.

Ron, you are absolutely correct about the Super Echo. This is the best trainer of any aircraft (sport or not). Keep up the great flying!!
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

"We did not want instructors that had little experience and were more interested in building hours. "

Tim - at least from my experience, CSP seems a rare treasure. At least a dozen "schools" in my area are staffed by low-time CFI's who move on every few months. The one FBO I found with a 20 year veteran CFI would only assign him to teaching advanced ratings (instrument, etc.).

How did you go about finding your CFI's? Were they already working for other FBOs? Did they all have different (non-aviation) jobs? Did you somehow recruit them to CSP? Whatever - congrats on your excellent staff experience.

Bob Miller (Over The Airwaves) has often suggested that CFIs should have 500 hours logged *before* they start teaching. What do you think?

Thanks.
Tom
tadel001

Post by tadel001 »

Allowing them to work part-time is the first trick. A majority of our instructors take on 2-4 primary students at a time. They schedule them on their own and typically fly a few times per week. Some are retired and some have other jobs. The most common theme is that they all love aviation. They teach because they love flying and love teaching it. We pay our instructors well, give them flexibility in their schedules, provide them with great flying planes, and treat them as the great asset they are.

We have a former DPE, an instructor with over 15,000 hours, a former airforce pilot and head of an aviation department at a university, airline captains, etc. etc. The credentials are great and we are finding that the training is great as well!
Helen

Post by Helen »

Many of the best we found via word of mouth. Our airport manager and the local DPEs were invaluable in helping us find some of our best talent. Many of the others found us.

As Tim mentioned, setting up an environment in which these folks would enjoy their work was key. Flexible scheduling, good pay, CFI liability insurance, no FAA medical, and minimal insurance hassles were all important. Probably most of all, respect was key. I don't think a lot of schools offer their older CFIs the respect they have earned and deserve. At our school CFIs are treated with great respect and dignity. They know we hired them for their experience and passion for teaching aviation. Additionally many discovered long lost friends from days gone by working at our school when they started which has led to a wonderful atmosphere of camaraderie and friendship.

Helen
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Helen Woods
Chesapeake Sport Pilot
Quality Flight Training, Rentals, and Service
Factory Authorized RV-12 Training and Service Center
http://www.chesapeakesportpilot.com
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Helen and Tim - this is really interesting. We sure need more companies like yours.

There's another thread here at SPT where a someone asks why he can't find Designated Examiners to fly in his Light Sport Aircraft.

http://sportpilottalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=738

Is this something you ran into at CSP? Any problems finding examiners for your students?

Thanks.
Tom
tadel001

Post by tadel001 »

Unfortunately that other persons experience is too common. The problem is that some schools don't appreciate the fact that a DPE has to have 5 hours in the aircraft make and model before giving a check ride. When we get a new make and model, the first thing we do is meet up with our local DPEs. We familiarize them with the aircraft, let them burn off their 5 hours of time and then talk to them about how they will conduct test in the aircraft. In addition, we have developed standard operating procedures for our aircraft (each step taken for each manuever) and we give that to our DPEs. That way they understand how our students are going to do the manuever. IF there is a concern, they can address it with us before the Student gets to the DPE. We currently have two different DPEs we are using.
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

I don't suppose CSP would ever like to expand to another airport, like say Warrenton. Far enough away not to cannablize your business at Bay Bridge, The closest public airport west of DC that is outside the ADIZ. It'd sure save me some driving.

While I'm dreaming, pick up an AMD CH601 so I can get some time in a plane like the one I'm building.

Ron
ka7eej

Post by ka7eej »

Seems like we are hearing a lot from schools and not to much from students. I posted this under andther topic a while back, but I thinks is goes better here...
My story is this. I am 56 years old, never have flown untill now. Last year I found out about Sport Pilot and because of fear of not being able to get a medical jumped at the chance to fly. I took 5 hours of lessons in an Allegro 2000 at Falcon Executive Aviation in Mesa, Az ( 3 hours from where I llive). I then came across a deal on a 2006 Allegro that I could not pass up. MY CFI and I flew to North Carolina to pick it up and fly it back to Mesa, Az. That was a blast.. I left my plane in Mesa for 8 months and tried to train there as often as time would allow. Because of the time gaps between training and me being old and hard to train and the extra time I think it takes to land an Allegro I now have flown my plane the 120 miles home ( Cross country signed off by my instructor). I am now going to the local CFI who has never been in a Light Sport Airplane before but is looking forward to me teaching him how to fly it HA HA so he can sign me off to solo (again with the new instructor & airport) so I can fly every day to get just a little more skill before he signs me off for my checkride. I love the Allegro 2000, 100 hp with a Dynon EFIS. I feel I got a great buy getting it with 110 hours, for way less that the low price of $75,000 that it was new less than one year ago. Sure it was about the same price as a 30 year old 172 but I have a new airplane that will fly for 3+ hours, burn 3.5 gals per hour at over 100 mph.. This is a real story from a real pilot flying a real SLSA......Let's hear some more!!!!!
Owner of N3081X (Cover Girl) A Beautiful Allegro 2000 as seen on the cover and inside of several magazines!!
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

"Seems like we are hearing a lot from schools and not to much from students"

No kidding! I'm getting the feeling there aren't many sport pilots - but lots of full PPLs or FBO owners who enjoy talking about their planes and their businesses. Nothing wrong with that at all - but sounds like we'd all appreciate hearing from sport pilots themselves.

Ka - you mention "I am now going to the local CFI who has never been in a Light Sport Airplane before but is looking forward to me teaching him how to fly it ".

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but are you going to take lessons from someone with no experience in your plane at all? Doesn't the cfi have to have some hours logged long before you're his/her student? How does your insurance handle all this?

Inquiring minds want to know! (and thanks for posting!)

Tom