ELSA IFR/IMC

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

RickSigler

ELSA IFR/IMC

Post by RickSigler »

I picked up my new ELSA Bristell 914 on June 10, 2018 and flew it from Lancaster, PA to my home base KABQ. Put 90 hours on it the first year. Just finished doing my own annual and everything was great. The only issue was that the floats on the right carb were overweight, so I replaced them and filed a claim with Rotax for warranty replacement. Haven't heard from them yet.

If any of you are interested in how I fly my plane IFR/IMC, I've posted a lot of videos on YT (GoldenOldie) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmbjvE ... 8QeegeF-Rg showing how I use the G3X touch, GTN 650 and GMC 307 to fly instruments. A couple of them are actual IFR flight plans, but most are just practice approaches. I have to warn you they're pretty boring, but I thought some of you might be interested especially now that you can get an instrument rating in a properly equipped light sport.

I'm not a CFI, so if you need any training or need questions answered check with you CFI.

Is anybody else flying their Light Sport IFR/IMC? I know Jeff in California does, but haven't seen anyone else.

Rick