Piper announces new trainers

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

TimTaylor

Re: Piper announces new trainers

Post by TimTaylor »

Why does everything here have to be an argument? Forget I even mentioned that I learned to fly in a Champion 7FC. Yes, it was too heavy to be an LSA and yes it had a nose wheel.
Retired from flying.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

TimTaylor wrote:Why does everything here have to be an argument?
Everything here isn’t.
Most of us here get along just fine.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
ryoder

Post by ryoder »

I’m glad to see the light sport and experimental avionics crossing over into GA and light sport having a cost pressure on GA. This Piper is cheap compared to a 172 and it looks like a good deal for a busy school.

My 162 does ok as a trainer but I think the Piper is easier to fly and will take more abuse.
jetcat3

Post by jetcat3 »

That comment made me so mad. With his attitude towards the LSA market, it makes me wanna walk into that tent and rip the G5 and G3X touch out of his “new” airplane.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

TimTaylor wrote:Why does everything here have to be an argument? Forget I even mentioned that I learned to fly in a Champion 7FC. Yes, it was too heavy to be an LSA and yes it had a nose wheel.
How does whats been said here qualify as an argument?
drseti

Post by drseti »

I suggest we all stop arguing about whether this conversation constitutes an argument, before we all start having an argument.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

jetcat3 wrote:That comment made me so mad. With his attitude towards the LSA market,
This wasn't the same CEO who scuttled the PiperSport deal 8 years ago, but with that attitude, he certainly seems to be his predecessor's ideological twin.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
jetcat3

Post by jetcat3 »

This wasn't the same CEO who scuttled the PiperSport deal 8 years ago, but with that attitude, he certainly seems to be his predecessor's ideological twin.
Haha amen. It’s uncalled for, especially with what the LSA market has done to help the Part 23 world through STC.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

jetcat3 wrote:
. . . . with what the LSA market has done to help the Part 23 world through STC.
Make that “LSA+Experimental market.”
Bill Ince
LSRI
WDD

Post by WDD »

And I just read where ATP flight school just bought...... 100 Cessna Skyhawks. Nope, not the 2 (or 3 seat for IFR) Piper.

In a way it makes sense. A 4 place plane has more flexibility than a 2 place plane as it has probably more weight capacity, is larger and doesn't get pushed around as much in wind, etc. Sort of learning to drive using your Mom's minivan. They are easy to fly. When the time comes that they put them into the resale market a 4 place might be more easy to dispose of, esp if it such a popular model as the Skyhawk.

Which is probably why the Cessna 150 - a great plane - isn't the plane of choice for flight schools; it's the 172. So many used Skyhawks have been bought by flight schools in the past 2 years the prices have soared (no pun intended).
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

WDD wrote:And I just read where ATP flight school just bought...... 100 Cessna Skyhawks. Nope, not the 2 (or 3 seat for IFR) Piper.

In a way it makes sense. A 4 place plane has more flexibility than a 2 place plane as it has probably more weight capacity, is larger and doesn't get pushed around as much in wind, etc. Sort of learning to drive using your Mom's minivan. They are easy to fly. When the time comes that they put them into the resale market a 4 place might be more easy to dispose of, esp if it such a popular model as the Skyhawk.

Which is probably why the Cessna 150 - a great plane - isn't the plane of choice for flight schools; it's the 172. So many used Skyhawks have been bought by flight schools in the past 2 years the prices have soared (no pun intended).
That withstanding, UND went with Piper Archer and G1000. Their multi engine training is with Seminoles and G1000.
Continuity.
Bill Ince
LSRI