Ground Instructor

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

HAPPYDAN

Ground Instructor

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Thanks, all, for putting up with my ridiculous questions, but here comes another one. So as I'm retired, I am also bored and have time on my hands. I recently discovered that one not need to even be a pilot, much less a CFI, to become a Certified Basic Ground Instructor. This could make me very useful to the EAA chapter I belong to, as we are endeavoring to begin working with local schools to promote aviation education. As I can find, 2 Knowledge Tests are required. What I'm asking is, are you aware of any study programs (i.e., King, Gleim, ASA, Sporty's, etc.) available to train and prepare for these tests? Thanks again!
TimTaylor

Re: Ground Instructor

Post by TimTaylor »

You can start by learning everything in the Fundamentals Of Flight Instruction and Sport Pilot, Recreational Pilot, and Private Pilot syllabus. Also, the FAR's and AIM that pertain to Sport Pilots, Recreational Pilots, and Private Pilots. Being a non-pilot, there is a lot to learn, but it's doable.

I have an Advanced Ground Instructor certificate and Instrument Ground Instructor certificate. I got each by attending a weekend ground school course, then taking each written. However, at the time, I already had Commercial, Instrument, and Flight Instructor certificates.
Retired from flying.
bryancobb

Post by bryancobb »

My Daughter's local PUBLIC High School has the Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University Dual Enrollment program IN THE SCHOOL FOR FREE.

The Teacher had to get her FAA Ground Instructor Certificate.

My kid will get het 2 year Embry-Riddle degree before High School graduation. :) Happy Dad.

He whole Sophomore year will be prep for the Private Pilot written. We are planning on her taking her checkride on her 17th Birthday.
Attachments
Embry 1.jpg
Embry 1.jpg (67.3 KiB) Viewed 12491 times
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Commercial/Instrument Airplane
Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

bryancobb wrote:My Daughter's local PUBLIC High School has the Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University Dual Enrollment program IN THE SCHOOL FOR FREE.

My kid will get het 2 year Embry-Riddle degree before High School graduation. :) Happy Dad.

He whole Sophomore year will be prep for the Private Pilot written. We are planning on her taking her checkride on her 17th Birthday.
For over a year my son has been planning on soloing a airplane and taking his private pilot checkride on his 16th birthday. Unfortunately the weather is going to keep it from happening. The checkride has already been pushed back a day.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

As you can see, this is a feasible endeavor that can pay dividends. Thanks for responding. I have since been informed Gleim has a home study course just for this purpose. I'm not sure how I'll be able to use a BGI cert, but I have the time and money to give it a go and see where it leads.
bryancobb

Post by bryancobb »

3Dreaming wrote:
bryancobb wrote:My Daughter's local PUBLIC High School has the Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University Dual Enrollment program IN THE SCHOOL FOR FREE.

For over a year my son has been planning on soloing a airplane and taking his private pilot checkride on his 16th birthday. Unfortunately the weather is going to keep it from happening. The checkride has already been pushed back a day.
17 is the youngest you can be. You can solo at 16.
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Commercial/Instrument Airplane
Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

You could teach ground school for Sport, Recreational, and Private Pilots.
Retired from flying.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

bryancobb wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:

17 is the youngest you can be. You can solo at 16.
I think he's talking Private Pilot - Glider.
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

bryancobb wrote: 17 is the youngest you can be. You can solo at 16.
Only true in an airplane. Tom's son is going for private pilot glider. You can solo them at 15, and do that checkride at 16.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:
bryancobb wrote: 17 is the youngest you can be. You can solo at 16.
Only true in an airplane. Tom's son is going for private pilot glider. You can solo them at 15, and do that checkride at 16.
Actually you can solo a glider at 14.
Otto

Post by Otto »

Glider solo is at 14. They get two years of fun solo flying pre license.
Edit: Too slow
drseti

Post by drseti »

My bad. Thanks for the correction, Otto and Tom.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US