Sport Pilot training. 10-day killer course or Long Island?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Re: Sport Pilot training. 10-day killer course or Long Island?

Post by drseti »

TimTaylor wrote: Absolutely not, but thanks for the insult.
Any time, my friend. :D
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

To the OP: If you're still considering a "crash course", here's one I find intriguing:
http://www.blueridgesportflight.com/
I lived in NC for 5 years, and that part of the country has spectacular scenery.
And here's another one, by one of our occasional posters, Paul Hamilton:
http://sportaviationcenter.com/
That one is intriguing also, because it's near Reno and Lake Tahoe, both exciting areas, but for different reasons.
Good Luck!
doylexus

Post by doylexus »

Shout out to thank everyone for helpful, honest responses.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

If you really want to learn to fly and this is your only alternative...go for it.
Retired from flying.
FlyAgain

Post by FlyAgain »

HAPPYDAN wrote:
chicagorandy wrote:" I did the 3 week $10,000+ course with EAA at Oshkosh.The bad - no certificate.:

HappyDan…. are you still 'happy' about the costly adventure? Would you recommend it to others and now what are your plans?
Myself, I simply never understood where I went wrong. As an old black-boot Army Major, I can't function properly without accurate G-2. So, unless some ridiculous opportunity drops in my lap, I'm done.
I hope you continue the endeavor. Keep in mind that flying and teaching are two separate and distinct skill sets. I spent most of my Air Force career in the training and education realm and have seen people gain almost instant success by changing the instructor or the venue.

I had a terrible time with landings working up to my first solo as a I had a change in instructors. "What's your situation, what's your situation?!" type of training. I eventually got a CFII with a PhD in education. One day we did 3 low approaches. One at round out height and the next two in the flare with just enough power to hold the plane 2 feet off the runway with the stall warning occasionally chirping. It was perfect, I got the sight picture and soloed the next day. I learned more in one hour from this patient older gentleman than I did in 10 hours with the other screamer guy.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

To FlyAgain - Thanks for your kind response. I'm glad it all worked out for you, and I hope the best as you continue your endeavor. But after considerable effort and expense, I decided to toss in the towel.