training in Ohio

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

MikeM

training in Ohio

Post by MikeM »

Hi everyone, I am a rusty sport pilot in need of some training and a BFR. I do not have an airplane so I need an instructor or flight training school that have a Light Sport aircraft available. Anybody know of such a thing in north central Ohio?
TimTaylor

Re: training in Ohio

Post by TimTaylor »

Probably worth a trip to KLHV to see this guy...

http://sportpilottalk.com/memberlist.ph ... ile&u=1611
Retired from flying.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

... or alternatively a bit up north at http://www.lapeerflighttraining.com
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
drseti

Post by drseti »

TimTaylor wrote:Probably worth a trip to KLHV to see this guy...

http://sportpilottalk.com/memberlist.ph ... ile&u=1611
Thanks for the plug, Tim. :)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
joey4420

Post by joey4420 »

Not sure about Northern Ohio, but I know of a couple in Cincinnati Area. My local flight school Hogan Flying Service (HAO) (my son is flying there) has a Cub they train in. Also (I66) Clinton County Airport has an LSA they train in.

I am sure there are others.
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Double Eagle N35DE
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

Sporty's used to have an LSA, don't know if they still do. They were in Cincinnati. Where exaxtly? I'm from the Cleveland area originally, there used to be a flight school out of Burke Lakefront, but that was years ago....
Ed
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

Just did some quick digging, Zone Aviation out of Lorain has a CTLS, they also operate out of Burke. If it's the same folks from 20 years ago (who knows) they were good folks.. Though I've never taken a lesson from him I'll second Dr. SETI as an extremely knowlegable and competent individual.
Ed
joey4420

Post by joey4420 »

foresterpoole wrote:Sporty's used to have an LSA, don't know if they still do. They were in Cincinnati. Where exaxtly? I'm from the Cleveland area originally, there used to be a flight school out of Burke Lakefront, but that was years ago....

I trained at Sports (Clermont County Airport KI69) Sadly they sold it about 3 months after I finished. I think the had one or two other SP in the in the pipeline and when they were done sold the SkyCatcher, someone in KY purchased it according to the FAA Registry.
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Double Eagle N35DE
drseti

Post by drseti »

foresterpoole wrote:Though I've never taken a lesson from him I'll second Dr. SETI as an extremely knowlegable and competent individual.
Thanks for the kind unsolicited endorsement, Ed. I'm hoping that some day we will get a chance to fly together. :D
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
CoalDust

Post by CoalDust »

Great Plains Enterprises, LLC, 937-382-2889 or 937-527-9454. Located north of Cincinnati in Wilmington, Ohio and they advertise that they have LSA to train in. https://www.gpeflightschool.org/