Cert Advise

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

TimTaylor

Re: Cert Advise

Post by TimTaylor »

drseti wrote:You can get all your training from a Subpart H CFI even if you go for the Sport. This is just a case of caveat emptor.
Of course you can. And there is no worry that some of it might not count. The issue, as you pointed out, is the other way around, and it's not that obvious to a new student who just wants to learn to fly and get a certificate.
Retired from flying.
New2me

Post by New2me »

I was reading a little bit today and reviewed the medical examiner checklist. Back in my early 20's (over 15 yrs ago) I got a dui. Being that this is on the checklist for possible denial makes me a bit concerned. Other than that I don't see a reason to fail the med. Is it possible to get prescreened or talk with an examiner "off the books" so to speak, so I can avoid black listing myself?

How do I go about finding instructors with these specific ratings you guys speak about? I suppose I can call airports to see but was hoping there is a database.
Chris
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

New2me wrote:I was reading a little bit today and reviewed the medical examiner checklist. Back in my early 20's (over 15 yrs ago) I got a dui. Being that this is on the checklist for possible denial makes me a bit concerned. Other than that I don't see a reason to fail the med. Is it possible to get prescreened or talk with an examiner "off the books" so to speak, so I can avoid black listing myself?

How do I go about finding instructors with these specific ratings you guys speak about? I suppose I can call airports to see but was hoping there is a database.
You should be able to find a AME who will do a consult. An other option would be to join AOPA and quiz their staff about it. You might even be able to give the FAA a call and ask them. https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificat ... n/rfs/agl/
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Any flight school is going to have instructors appropriate to the aircraft they have. You just need to identify the flight schools within a reasonable driving distance of your house. I would not want to drive more than 1 hour to the airport. Go visit a couple and see what they have available and the prices for the aircraft and the instructor. You may find out that most do not have light sport aircraft.

I suspect a single dui over 15 years ago is probably not an issue. Multiple dui's would be.
Retired from flying.
New2me

Post by New2me »

I bought a couple books to study back when I went for the intro flight and was wondering if anyone knows how accurate the info is today.

The books are:
- Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (FAA-H-8083-25A)
- 2012 Private Pilot Test Prep (ASA-TP-P-12)
Chris
drseti

Post by drseti »

The former is the basic textbook of most flight training curricula, definitely a classic, and still relevant no matter what edition you have or certificate you seek. The latter had better be current, because both FARs and knowledge/practical test special emphasis areas change over time.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
New2me

Post by New2me »

drseti wrote:The former is the basic textbook of most flight training curricula, definitely a classic, and still relevant no matter what edition you have or certificate you seek. The latter had better be current, because both FARs and knowledge/practical test special emphasis areas change over time.
Good to know. I'll look for a new book
Chris