How to prepare for my oral & Checkride?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Re: How to prepare for my oral & Checkride?

Post by drseti »

The Sport Pilot Practical Test Standards (available as a PDF on my website, and also for sale in print from ASA and other publishers) are rather specific as to the areas in which you might be quizzed during your oral. Many of those items may be found in the FAR/AIM. You are never expected to memorize this material, but should have a good idea where to look it up if asked. Pay attention especially to the Special Emphasis Areas identified in the PTS (and also listed on my SportPilotExaminer.US website).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

foresterpoole wrote: I book marked the FAR/AIM with tabs as well as the POH, shows you prepared and if you can't remember, it's easy to find.
+1 on bookmarking the AIM. My instructor told me to do this and and it made looking things up much easier.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

rcpilot wrote:
foresterpoole wrote: I book marked the FAR/AIM with tabs as well as the POH, shows you prepared and if you can't remember, it's easy to find.
+1 on bookmarking the AIM. My instructor told me to do this and and it made looking things up much easier.
In my earlier flying years, I was often teased by other pilots, for a study habit I rigotously practiced.
I remember one fellow pilot saying to me, "Bill, why don't you just highlight the parts which are NOT important . . . you would save money on highlighters."
That seemed to work for me for 43 years. :D

Note: My CTSW POH is highlighted.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

These are my Gleim sport pilot books from my training. They still have the tabs on them today. It made it VERY easy to find answers if I didn't know them. :mrgreen:
sport pilot books.jpg
sport pilot books.jpg (59.08 KiB) Viewed 11774 times
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

It has been a little bit since the thread was active, any reports/updates on how everything turned out???
Ed
jarinawoz

Post by jarinawoz »

As I have read through the entire topic, I am also interested, how it was
B747

Post by B747 »

Honestly, went on my solo cross country, at first landing point i stopped for a few minutes and when doing the run up again (just as extra safety) when switching to left magneto there was engine roughness, so i then flew back to my home airport and completed that day, 2 days later i had a overseas visit for a few weeks and was extremely busy when i came back. So due to the cold weather the school will only get the tecnam up and running in April and i hope to complete my license then. Thanks for asking
Be less restricted and more free, by flying to new heights