Time has finally come

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

HAPPYDAN

Re: Time has finally come

Post by HAPPYDAN »

sportflugzeug wrote:I am concerned about airsickness and clearing my Eustachian tubes during ascending and descents. I am bringing gum.
Google "Frenzel Technique". He was a JU-87 Stuka pilot that developed this quick, easy method for clearing your tubes. I suppose that would be a problem for a dive bomber pilot. Anyway, I learned it from an Air Force C-130 Loadmaster. Concerning problem #1, I wouldn't eat anything 2 hours prior to flight. It was not an airsick problem, it was uncontrollable flatulence :oops:. Not a good way to impress your instructor. A scruffy old pilot once told me that was the reason for wicker seats in the old biplanes :lol:. Good Luck!
sportflugzeug

Post by sportflugzeug »

Thanks Dan. I never knew how many techniques there were to clear out the tubes. The Valsalva technique is closely related to the Frenzel technique. What I am working on is the swallowing and manipulation of the jaw to clear out the tubes. I am trying to stay away from using my hands for clearing.

I have my flight bag with everything I need for today; including gum, mints, and two small garbage bags. :D
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

So .... how was it ?
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

sportflugzeug wrote:Thanks Dan. I never knew how many techniques there were to clear out the tubes. The Valsalva technique is closely related to the Frenzel technique. What I am working on is the swallowing and manipulation of the jaw to clear out the tubes. I am trying to stay away from using my hands for clearing.

I have my flight bag with everything I need for today; including gum, mints, and two small garbage bags. :D
Frenzel does not require use of hands. While inhaling, close the "throat piston" - or just press your tongue to the roof of your mouth, hold momentarily, creating a vacuum from lungs to sinuses. Swallow hard. POP! Instantly clear. Can also be done holding mouth and nostrils closed, obviously.
sportflugzeug

Post by sportflugzeug »

Wow.

Started off at 5pm by doing some ground work. CFI gave me a lot of information and pages of subject matter he wants me to read. Did this for about an hour. He was relieved that I have my written out of the way.

Did the walk around and preflight.

In the cockpit, CFI had me work the pedals, throttle, and stick on the grounds to get the feel. He asked if I was comfortable taking off myself. I turned to and said “what do you mean”? He said don’t worry I’ll talk you through it.

In the air chewing my gum like there’s no tomorrow. Had to use the Valsava Technique several times.

Maneuvers were steep banks, minor stalls, and working the flaps at slow air speeds. Several large 7 series planes on the right, left, and above as we were close to O’Hare.

Coming in fir landing with 8kt gusts to the West. Had to crab all the way until last minute slip. Nose up! Nose up!

I have to say, this was quite an experience. CFI told me my take-off and landing were 80% me.

My next lesson is on Saturday at 4:30.
6E6DEC98-F4EF-45DC-B019-F278F7555802.jpeg
6E6DEC98-F4EF-45DC-B019-F278F7555802.jpeg (255 KiB) Viewed 5727 times
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Most instructors don't teach inverted flight until the second or third lesson.
Retired from flying.
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

Congrats! With practice the ear clearing will become second nature. No, I'm not an experienced pilot ner nuthin', but I am a seasoned scuba diver. Same need, different direction - lol
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
sportflugzeug

Post by sportflugzeug »

Come on in Randy; the atmosphere is fine. :D
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Good job! Now, for your next lesson, you are required to watch the following UTUBE Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWGJA9i18Co
Good Luck!
sportflugzeug

Post by sportflugzeug »

HAPPYDAN,

Studied the video and I am more confused than before. lol
sportflugzeug

Post by sportflugzeug »

Question

What is the average cost for a SPL and average hours to complete?

Thanks!
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

From what I've been able to gather and compile - Figure $150 an hour for plane and instructor, 30-40 hours actual training. Plus incidental purchases, training materials and test fees. Several instructors have posted that VERY, VERY few folks are licensed at the FAA stated minimum 20 hours.

So anywhere from $5000 to $6500 as a rough guesstimate? Perhaps double that for the full Private Pilot license?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
sportflugzeug

Post by sportflugzeug »

Thank you so much Randy for your quick reply. As you and I are training at the same facility, it’s nice to have your opinion.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Sounds about right ... I was paying about $150 per hour.
I soloed at about 24 hours or so but I wasn’t comfortable going for the final check ride until about 50+ hours but everyone is different.

IMHO going for the full private license would only add maybe 10 or so hours which is why I think it is better to go for the private cert right away.

Btw I was taking classes at SimplyFly at Aurora but I think pricing is very similar and the only real difference is the fact that they use Remos planes vs Evektors and you get to do pretty much all your training at a relatively busy D class airport that also serves as a FAA training facility for controllers. As my instructor used to say ..it is the blind leading the blind :-)

I have seen guys from Chicago Sport Pilot hanging out in the pattern at aurora so I am sure you will get to experience that as well.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
sportflugzeug

Post by sportflugzeug »

The reason I ask; I spent over an hour with my CFI introducing ourselves, going over what I need to learn, what he expects from me, and then flew for 45 minutes.

So at the end of the training, I paid 100.00 for his time and then 100.00 for the plane (I bough 10 blocks). So it was 200.00 for that session. 200.00 X 40 hours is $8,000.00. But I suppose since that was the first time meeting him, we won’t sit down like that every session.