Where to look to alleviate motion nausea?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

WDD

Where to look to alleviate motion nausea?

Post by WDD »

So - finally got into the air for training! I got 2.5 hours hobbs time in the log book yesterday after a lot of weather cancelations !

Great visibility - but weather a bit rough. Then when doing a sharp 360 turn at a high bank - well I got a bit motion nausea. Didn’t need the bag - but didn’t feel great.

Think I made a mistake. In the turn I looked straight ahead at the nose I think I should have looked into the turn instead. Should I have had my head cocked to be level with the horizon? Or keep it level with the plane ?

Any tips on dealing with motion sickness appreciated!
CharlieTango

Re: Where to look to alleviate motion nausea?

Post by CharlieTango »

WDD wrote:So - finally got into the air for training! I got 2.5 hours hobbs time in the log book yesterday after a lot of weather cancelations !

Great visibility - but weather a bit rough. Then when doing a sharp 360 turn at a high bank - well I got a bit motion nausea. Didn’t need the bag - but didn’t feel great.

Think I made a mistake. In the turn I looked straight ahead at the nose I think I should have looked into the turn instead. Should I have had my head cocked to be level with the horizon? Or keep it level with the plane ?

Any tips on dealing with motion sickness appreciated!
No need to cock your head. You are striving to do coordinated turns and in a coordinated turn there are no yaw forces to fight, just sit in your seat.

Personally I want to look strait down the wing as well as at the nose as it describes an arc along the horizon as well as eslsewhere.

Feeling thick is prolly cause your doing steep turns on your first flight not where your looking. Pretty normal
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

No advice from me but, at least in my case, it seems to be very random. Normally I am fine 90% of time and then for some reason I will get a bit nauseous. Last time it was just flying along Lake Michigan - just looked to the side over the lake and it got me. Turned back over the land and soon I was fine ... go figure.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
drseti

Post by drseti »

I tend to be nausea-prone when doing aerobatics. Sucking on a peppermint (the kind you pick up out of the bowl on your way out of a restaurant) seems to help a lot.

My profile picture shows me pulling gees in a Globe Swift. Notice the grimace. I'm sucking a peppermint in that photo.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Try focusing on the horizon, not a fixed point on the plane. It helps prevent seasickness in rolling seas. With repeated exposure, you will learn to handle it. And be sure to discuss this with your instructor. He/she has probably experienced the same thing and can offer some advice. Now I have the urge to go sailing. Too bad I don't have a boat bigger than a kayak!
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

2.5 hours on your first day flying is a little bit of an overload, and could have had something to do with it. It helps to develope a tolerance over time. Some people will never get over it, but most do to some degree. We have a fellow on the field here that has problems riding with someone doing steep turns, but can do acro if he is flying. I know of another fellow who could only fly for 15 to 20 minutes at a time when he started training without getting sick. He later went on to flying airshows and giving aerobatic instruction.
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

Don't really think it is going to be a problem as you become acclimatized to strange forces of flying.

The biggest obstacle at this point is not to let the fear of it loom over you for your next lesson or two. Arm yourself with Paul's peppermint and the knowledge that this many pilots know it will pass and go about it armed with that :D

Keep your lessons down to an hour of flight until you settle in.
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

A good dose of steep turns and a hot day will do it for me. Best thing to do is talk to your instructor, spread the maneuvers that give you trouble out, and ease into it.
Ed
WDD

Post by WDD »

Motion sickness getting a lot better to point where it is almost gone altogether. Some thoughts:

1- I use a Reliefband wrist electrical stimulator device that seems to help.
2 - I’m probably just getting used to the movements of an airplane
3- The biggest help I believe is noise reduction. I experimented with30 dB ear plugs under the DC headset and turned the headset volume to max. Odd how that made a huge difference for me. Last thing I want to do is buy another headset right now, but those clarity aloft in ear sets have a 29 dB reduction rating vs the DavidClark’s 23. Supossedly even have higher noise reduction than an ANR? Tempting.