X Plane 11 + Oculus Rift

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Warmi

X Plane 11 + Oculus Rift

Post by Warmi »

Whoa ... just had a chance to play X Plane 11 beta configured with the new VR headset Oculus .

Quite unbelievable.

The feeling of being "there" is so close to reality as to render all the legacy setups ( like multiple monitors etc) completely and utterly obsolete.

My only complain was the fact that , with the VR setup , everything is so ultra realistic that all the typical 3d rendering "cheats" ( like view aligned quads ) that programmers normally use for 3d simulations being rendered on 2d screens , are instantly recognizable as such. In other words, with VR you cannot get away with anything but true 3d models - everything else feels fake.
Another problem was complete lack of g-forces. With visuals being so realistic , steep turns without any physical feedback were making me somewhat nauseous - I don't get that when flying a real plane.

All in all, very , very cool.

https://www.oculus.com/
http://www.x-plane.com/
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
hook_dupin

Re: X Plane 11 + Oculus Rift

Post by hook_dupin »

An Oculus Rift showed up under the tree this year, then X-Plane 11 announced their VR port... its good.

It's so good that I'm now working on 3D aircraft specific to my little flight school.

If anyone has a small aircraft they want modelled, ping me. I've been rapidly trying to learn how to build aircraft in the plane builder and then fly them.
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

Sounds interesting.
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

hook_dupin wrote:An Oculus Rift showed up under the tree this year, then X-Plane 11 announced their VR port... its good.

It's so good that I'm now working on 3D aircraft specific to my little flight school.

If anyone has a small aircraft they want modelled, ping me. I've been rapidly trying to learn how to build aircraft in the plane builder and then fly them.
I'm currently spinning up as a CFI-S in my CTSW. I just bought X Plane 11, and am using the included 172. It's close enough to the CTSW in performance, but I'd love to have a CTSW model, especially if it included functioning Dynons.

I had planned on expanding to a 3-monitor setup, but the Oculus could be a better idea, although I'd need two for instructor/student.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

The problem with Oculus is that some people just can't handle it and get sick ( it can be quite realistic ... and the fact that there is no corresponding g-forces doesn't help )

X-Plane has 3rd party CTLS model but it is kind of old and has 2d cockpit which just doesn't work with Oculus.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois