Renters insurance for a student - Needed?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

WDD

Renters insurance for a student - Needed?

Post by WDD »

Looking to the group for advice. Should I get renter's insurance? As I understand it covers liability for the renter and covers the renter's obligation for the costs to fix the plane if you do something to it. ???
TimTaylor

Re: Renters insurance for a student - Needed?

Post by TimTaylor »

My advice is yes, get renter's insurance. I have mine through AOPA but you might find a better deal somewhere else, IDK. Your FBO's insurance company would pay the loss but could then come after you. Also, the FBO is going to look to you to cover the deductible I believe.

I worry more about hurting or killing someone on the ground. These renter policy's are not near enough if that happens, but maybe it's a very small risk. I have a personal umbrella policy that I think would cover that, but I'm not totally certain.
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Here is a page on my website that covers the issue of renters insurance (and also contains links to three suitable insurance companies, for comparison shopping):

http://avsport.org/acft/insure.htm
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Pay special attention to the "subrogation" clause (Only lawyers read that stuff). I have a basic policy through AVEMCO that is quite reasonable. After I paid for a not so good (solo) landing that damaged a nose wheel and tire, I decided to get a policy. I think if a CFI had been on board I might not have been held responsible.
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

Good point Happydan. Often overlooked or even never heard of.

Just got a letter from an outfit that specializes in Subrogation and is representing my health insurance company. They noticed that I was admitted to a hospital after a routine procedure had complications. I have no complaints, the risks were understood but they want their money back. I guess they will go after the doctor.

Insurance companies are always looking for a way out of paying or a way to get that money back! So if you weren't wearing your prescription glasses at the time you pushed you plane into that G5 in the hanger... Wait for the call :)