Looking for a CFI - not that easy

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

HAPPYDAN

Re: Looking for a CFI - not that easy

Postby HAPPYDAN » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:38 pm

Half Fast wrote:The 2 week advertising probably assumes a youngster. Several people told me that once you're past your mid 30s the required hours will be close to your age. Roughly 40 hours for a 40 year old, 50 hours for a 50 year old,... Personal experience says that's a reasonable rough guess, barring other factors such as training gaps, CFI changes, aircraft changes, etc.

Probably some of the most accurate advice I've heard in a long time.

kbrown66

Re: Looking for a CFI - not that easy

Postby kbrown66 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:55 am

I got my SP certificate at 40 hrs...at 50 yrs old, starting with zero time. I could have done it with about 10 fewer hrs but flew while waiting for DPE availability. I had the written out of the way prior to starting flight training. I, like others, had to travel much further than I wanted to in order to find a CFI-S and an LSA to train in. I fully intended that I would only get Sport Pilot certificate, but after a year I got my PPL. However, I still seem to prefer the LSA flights. And, SP rules meet 95+ % of my flying needs. Now I'm working on getting my CFI-S...SIA and FOI taken/passed. Hope to take practical in the next couple months. Could use some CFI-S in the area (Houston).

Return to “Training”